Serissa advice

mylan

Seed
Reaction score
Hello! Im quite new to bonsai and have recently acquired a Snow Rose Serissa bonsai as a gift.(Note this is not where i keep it I just brought it inside to take a picture)When I first got it it was sickly and weak but has now started to grow, gain vigor and flower/bud. Now that it seems to be healthy and happy I would like to try to get some more ramification and get a more bushier tree and don’t know where to start. Do I just let it grow out and do it’s thing? or should i trim some of the long shoots and cause it to ramify/back bud? Also what do i do with the suckers at the base? Also any styling tips are useful. Really any help would be much appreciated lol as it’s kinda difficult to find trusty advice on serissas online. Thanks so much!E0D76944-1B00-4285-B8E1-62103666B8DD.jpeg

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
You need to get rid of the suckers. It's in their nature but they serve no purpose.

Just let it grow for now. It looks healthy so keep doing what you're doing.

You should add your location. If you're not in a semi tropical state you'll need to add lights to winter it indoors under.

Good luck with it, it just needs to grow for now. I have one with a trunk over an inch in girth and I won't put it in a bonsai pot for another year. I have a teacher who specializes in serissas and I know what they should look like so I'm going to continue to grow mine in dirt.

You can wait to wire serissas. The branches will stay flexible for years.

mylan

Seed
Reaction score
You need to get rid of the suckers. It's in their nature but they serve no purpose.

Just let it grow for now. It looks healthy so keep doing what you're doing.

You should add your location. If you're not in a semi tropical state you'll need to add lights to winter it indoors under.

Good luck with it, it just needs to grow for now. I have one with a trunk over an inch in girth and I won't put it in a bonsai pot for another year. I have a teacher who specializes in serissas and I know what they should look like so I'm going to continue to grow mine in dirt.

You can wait to wire serissas. The branches will stay flexible for years.
thanks for the reply! I live in Ohio zone 5b so i’ll definitely need to invest in lights for the winter any suggestions?
I’ll definitely be taking the suckers out soon thanks for the tips!

Top Bottom