Serissa Don't Like Wet Feet...

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Or moss on their trunks. Unfortunately, I knew this. Last years extremely wet spring and summer kept the pot too wet and fed the moss plenty of moisture, add that to a busy schedule and you have a recipe for disaster. Moss crept up the trunk and rotted the bark and the extra wet soil caused the roots to rot and those that lived struggled. I repotted today and used a less water retentive soil, hopefully I can make some lemonade.

This is the tree in question, it should be a deep green and loaded with flowers now.

DSC07965-1.jpg

Actually, the soil is so bad, the weeds won't even flourish in it. Here is the trunk, and some moss, I cleaned it off several times last year, but it kept coming back. Not only did it damage the trunk, my super nice roots on the surface died too.

DSC07967-1.jpg

DSC07969-1.jpg

Here are the roots, or what little there is of them, the pot should be filled with them, instead there is very weak growth.

DSC07972-1.jpg
DSC07973-1.jpg

I potted it up in a less water retentive soil so hopefully it will recover, stay tuned.
DSC07976-1.jpg

So, the moral of the story is, no moss on the trunk and keep it damp but not soaking wet all the time.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
On the bright side the little Fairy Pink (I think you said it was) you sent me, is growing by leaps and bounds!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
To counter for excess rain, we also use porous pots.
They can be glazed on the sides but the base is porous
and lots of sun.

Beautiful effort, very tree.
Hope it goes back to norm.
Good Day
Anthony

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Very unfortunate, especially considering this is one of the thickest trunk serissa I’ve seen. Curious what you potted it in before and now this second time around.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Very unfortunate, especially considering this is one of the thickest trunk serissa I’ve seen. Curious what you potted it in before and now this second time around.

The previous mix had too much pine bark in it for the amount of rain that we had last year. This year, same mix, just 20% pine bark.

Top Bottom