[Serissa Foetida] Is this fungus/ pest / something else?

Sophielou

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all - I've had my Serissa Foetida for a little while now, about a week ago one or two leaves presented with yellowing and brown tips, I was worried I might've over-watered so have been extra strict. I've also noticed today there's some white on the trunk, a little concerned what this could be?

I have attached a photo of the trunk and roots, unsure if the roots are meant to be a particular colour? Would be grateful for any advice, it's my favourite bonsai so far! Thank you.

243783789_340006457917749_140579333717418126_n.jpg
243867237_856928784984440_1658720249218989408_n.jpg
244257988_1249830372156388_248852071719743785_n.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

The white is probably traces of mineral deposits left by water that wicks up above the upper edges of the moss on the trunk. It's not a problem. If you don't like it you can brush it away with a toothbrush and a solution of a few drops of white vinegar in water. Most agree that moss decays the bark on a tree and it's better to not allow the moss on the bark. You can brush it off with a dry toothbrush from time to time. Don't return the toothbrush to normal service, just buy a new one for whomever you borrowed it from.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks quite rotten neath it.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Sophielou

Seedling
Reaction score
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you, and you might connect with another local.

<<<<< It will show here.

The white is probably traces of mineral deposits left by water that wicks up above the upper edges of the moss on the trunk. It's not a problem. If you don't like it you can brush it away with a toothbrush and a solution of a few drops of white vinegar in water. Most agree that moss decays the bark on a tree and it's better to not allow the moss on the bark. You can brush it off with a dry toothbrush from time to time. Don't return the toothbrush to normal service, just buy a new one for whomever you borrowed it from.
Oooh apologies, I am South UK. Will add it to my profile for future reference. Many thanks. I will give the brush a go! :)

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Don't overwater and eventually get it into decent bonsai soil.
That should solve your issues.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh no! Is there anything I can do to resolve this or promote healthy roots? :(

When we first started keeping animals as pets, it wasn't in appropriate conditions, and many of them died.
We since have learned better husbandry, realizing there are certain animals that can't even be kept in captivity.

Plants will, unfortunately, never find their place out of this cycle. It is nonetheless true.

I feel like Serissa and UK just don't mix, except to line someones pockets with cruelty pounds.

I could be wrong, but I certainly wouldn't stress over it!

Sorce

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to think Colin Lewis has covered Serissa care for UK folks -- maybe have a hunt through his books/videos. 😉

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The leaves look okay in the picture. They don't look 'plump' but they don't look bad. It might help to photograph them weekly because sometimes we can't be objective when we look at them everyday. Take a picture once a week so you can compare them. You don't need to photograph them daily...That would just be 'clutter' visually.

Serissas are known to be finicky about watering and being moved. They don't like being moved and they like their watering to be as consistent as possible. It's not always reasonable for them to have ideal conditions and they should adapt but you can try to keep things as steady as you can. It sounds like you've done that.

I'd wait until spring to repot. If they're stressing for any reason then repotting now may not be the best choice. If they decline then you may need to.

Think you've gotten good suggestions with the toothbrush and trunk. I'm sure you're using grow lights and I wish I knew more about them but I don't.

It's funny everyone who has these trees...They quickly become a favorite. There's something special about them. Keep an eye on yours and continue with good care and don't forget to feed them. If thinks start looking differently check back in. This may just be a bump in the road.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Serissa is notorious as finicky, so I agree with @sorce that it doesn't belong in the rainy winter parts of England. That said, it would be better off as a finicky houseplant there. It appears that there are lots of tiny white rootlets in the photo above. That would be a good sign. If the roots are rotten, they would smell bad. Put your nose to work!

Sophielou

Seedling
Reaction score
Serissa is notorious as finicky, so I agree with @sorce that it doesn't belong in the rainy winter parts of England. That said, it would be better off as a finicky houseplant there. It appears that there are lots of tiny white rootlets in the photo above. That would be a good sign. If the roots are rotten, they would smell bad. Put your nose to work!
Many thanks! I will try my best. May I ask why the roots are white? Is this new growth, I've had a search online but haven't had much success. Thank you :)

Sophielou

Seedling
Reaction score
The leaves look okay in the picture. They don't look 'plump' but they don't look bad. It might help to photograph them weekly because sometimes we can't be objective when we look at them everyday. Take a picture once a week so you can compare them. You don't need to photograph them daily...That would just be 'clutter' visually.

Serissas are known to be finicky about watering and being moved. They don't like being moved and they like their watering to be as consistent as possible. It's not always reasonable for them to have ideal conditions and they should adapt but you can try to keep things as steady as you can. It sounds like you've done that.

I'd wait until spring to repot. If they're stressing for any reason then repotting now may not be the best choice. If they decline then you may need to.

Think you've gotten good suggestions with the toothbrush and trunk. I'm sure you're using grow lights and I wish I knew more about them but I don't.

It's funny everyone who has these trees...They quickly become a favorite. There's something special about them. Keep an eye on yours and continue with good care and don't forget to feed them. If thinks start looking differently check back in. This may just be a bump in the road.
Many thanks, Katie. I'll keep up with the photos and try maintain a stable environment and hopefully repot in spring. I really appreciate the advice, I've had a few bonsai but this one is definitely my favourite! They're definitely special :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
would be better off as a finicky houseplant there

This exactly. Should have been said but it didn't fit into my rant. Something about how much I appreciate how well you understand how to make this forum useful and helpful as a contributor.

I like them white roots too.

I don't think the roots are rotten and I don't think if the trunk is rotten it's because of "root rot", just exposed to wet.
I don't know enough about serissa to know if it's salvageable, but then, "salvageable" has individual definitions.

(Hat tip emoji)

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I would point out that the tree looks fine outside the moss climbing the trunk, which is not really a problem either, it's just that moss deteriorates bark and over time it doesn't match the upper bark. The tree is fine.

Top Bottom