Serissa Foetida leaves are brown (not crisp) and falling

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got this Serissa for a month and a half, did a repoting, outside, got some hours of direct sun every day, soil always humid. My problem is that the leaves are getting brown-yellowish, not crisp and keep falling.

What could be? Can I cut the yellow leaves to increase the growth of new ones?

IMG_20220314_155225.jpgIMG_20220314_155242.jpg

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It’s dead, and I would bet that the soil is the reason. I’ve kept series’s for years in a well drained mix, and I only water when they’re just about to start wilting slightly. All the books state to keep them moist, but that’s a death wish

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I read/see in everyplace to keep the soil always moist, so it is not the case?

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got it, will reduce the watering on it. I cut some branches and they are green inside and seemed healthy, will wait to see if it recovers with less water

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Honestly in that mudsoil the tree will die anyways, repot it to a better soil if it lives good if it dies bad luck; pick an Chinese elm, a Ficus or another better tree to start

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is not mudsoil, it is ~60% akadama, top got some sphagnum moss (maybe that is why is seems mud)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dead foliage all over the tree means a severe root issue. That issue has to do with water, either too much, or not enough. Given that the tree is inside and you've been "keeping it moist" probably means you've been overwatering. Your tree probably has root rot as a result.

You got it in 60 percent akadama--which drains really well for the most part. What is the other 40 percent?

FWIW, serissa is not the easiest tree for beginners. It can be finicky and delicate indoors.

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have it outdoors, the other 40% is a bought mixture from a bonsai shop.

Yeah I'm getting Serissa is indeed not an easy tree despise being the one recommended for starters, I also have some maples and azaleas and they are fine (growing on time).

I'll reduce the water quantity and hope it gets better.

thanks for the feedback

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I've kept Serissa for almost 20 years now, and I certainly killed a few when I started! They are fickle little trees, but they can be nice. They really need a little bit of neglect to thrive. I keep them outside in the summer, but during the winter, they're indoors, about 60 degrees, under a timed grow light. I don't mist, the humidity gets fairly low, and I water when the soil is dry, just as they start to barely wilt. Don't give up on them, if you decide to try again with them. It just seems that the information provided in most sources is conducive to root rot.

FWIW- I keep my trees outside until temps are in the mid 30's at night. They bloom prolifically at these temps.

giventofly

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I removed the top moss to let the soil dry faster and lets see how it goes from here.

thank you

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Serissas are easy to grow outdoors. Mine like lots of sun and I don't water until they're almost bone dry. In Florida that's pretty much everyday. Am not sure why they have such a bad reputation but they may be more difficult up north without the high humidity we have.

It looks like a watering issue but if you want to know for sure take a look at the roots. I would take them apart and try to learn.

Am sorry it happened but don't give up. Buy a new healthy one and move forward.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They sell these novelties with instructions to kill them!

Welcome to Crazy!

Don't get down on yourself, it's the truth!

Sorce

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Really depends on watering. I use a organic mix that’s stays petty damp, to help bulk them up. I let it get “almost dry” then water, which is about every 4 days inside during the winter. This mix gets watered daily to every other day outside during the summer. I wonder if different varieties are more tolerant? FYI, during the winter these grow about 1/2 per month in a south facing window. Have had great luck with them indoors, but you got to stay on top of them.

that said, these guys drop leaves and react if you look at them wrong. God forbid you say something mean to them.

ficus are a great house tree, fun to bend and shape and quite forgiving.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
They sell these novelties with instructions to kill them!

Welcome to Crazy!

Don't get down on yourself, it's the truth!

Sorce
The funny thing with Serissas is that they are only that finnicky indoors, in any tropical or subtropical climate they are like weeds very easy to cultivate outdoors

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
The funny thing with Serissas is that they are only that finnicky indoors, in any tropical or subtropical climate they are like weeds very easy to cultivate outdoors
So cool. Plants are amazing how they have evolved!!! They are definately not a native species here in MD. One of my house trees that shouldn't be here, but I keep cause my wife (really the whole family) loves the flowers and it helps keeps my hands off the other 'want to be' bonsai's that I have. I wish I could afford to travel to all the native habitats of my bonsai to see them in the wilds:)

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
So cool. Plants are amazing how they have evolved!!! They are definately not a native species here in MD. One of my house trees that shouldn't be here, but I keep cause my wife (really the whole family) loves the flowers and it helps keeps my hands off the other 'want to be' bonsai's that I have. I wish I could afford to travel to all the native habitats of my bonsai to see them in the wilds:)
Serissas aren't native to any place in the U.S., they're only native to Asia. The weather in southern states does emulate many parts of Asia. Hot and humid. Serissas can still be picky in the south, mostly to watering and location. They almost seem to 'talk to you' and will let you know when they're happy and when they're not. They may pout if moved and I'd suggest moving them back, they're picky about location. Watering is the key issue and overwatering seems to be more of an issue than underwatering.

I have two cultivars of the variegated and one of the non-vaviegated and they're surprisingly different. Very different leaf size and one of the variegated has a higher tolerance for under watering. I'd suggest getting a non-variegated cultivar and go from there. I have one type of variegated that literally shrunk. The leaf size seemed to reduce in size by almost half overnight. Very strange.

Love that mame tree.

Last edited:

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Serissas aren't native to any place in the U.S., they're only native to Asia. The weather in southern states does emulate many parts of Asia. Hot and humid. Serissas can still be picky in the south, mostly to watering and location. They almost seem to 'talk to you' and will let you know when they're happy and when they're not. They may pout if moved and I'd suggest moving them back, they're picky about location. Watering is the key issue and overwatering seems to be more of an issue than underwatering.

I have two cultivars of the variegated and one of the non-vaviegated and they're surprisingly different. Very different leaf size and one of the variegated has a higher tolerance for under watering. I'd suggest getting a non-variegated cultivar and go from there. I have one type of variegated that literally shrunk. The leaf size seemed to reduce in size by almost half overnight. Very strange.

Love that mame tree.
great info. My neighbor has a variegated. I keep asking for cuttings. One of my first bonsai's was a serissa, it was just starting to look gnaraly, when killed by a plant sitter....I lost 9 trees to that jerk.....Ah well...at least I had a couple of cutting in a jar that survived.

Top Bottom