Serissa Foetida White Powder on the Soil and Trunk

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi everyone,

I have a Serissa Foetida that I have had for about 2 or 3 months now. It was in horrible potting soil that held too much water, so I repotted it into some soil I made from fullers earth, perlite, and organics. The tree didn't have any of the white powder on it before I repotted it. I have two trees in this soil mix for a little over a month now, this one and a Schefflera. The white powder is there in the soil of both trees when the soil dries. When the soil I wet, the white powder goes away, except on the trunk of the Serissa. I thought it was salt in the tap water, but I switched to bottled water and it is still there after about a week from switching. I don't know if it is mold, or what I need to do about it. Maybe yall can help me out on this problem. I have ordered the good soil, (Bonsai Jack) and I will probably change out the soil when it gets here just in case the soil is the problem. Thanks in advance,

Sincerely,

Legobonsaipianoman

Attachments

• Serissa 1.jpg
    Serissa 1.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 52
  • serissa 2.jpg
    serissa 2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 53
  • serissa 3.jpg
    serissa 3.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 54
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Almost looks like calcium deposits from watering. Not really a huge issue. I see that in my own pots as well.
Thank you, I just applied a very dilute mix of water and vinegar to see if it is mildew. If it is the vinegar will hopefully get rid of it. :) I hope it is just calcium though.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thank you, I just applied a very dilute mix of water and vinegar to see if it is mildew. If it is the vinegar will hopefully get rid of it. :) I hope it is just calcium though.
Be very careful with vinegar which is a herbicide at some levels

Attachments

• PLANTS and Vinegar use 17 Amazing ways.pdf
    212 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Use a toothbrush. (One you're done using);)
Will my electric tooth brush work. Lol😆 I looked at the plant today and the white stuff is still there, maybe even more of it. I have never noticed it on my bonsai jack soil, or the soil a made out of potting soil and aquarium gravel back when I knew hardly anything about bonsai.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The molecules of calcium are small enough to flow into the porous bark cavities and then be impossible to extricate. There should be some nominal space between the bark and the media so when you water the bark doesn't wick the water up. Looking back at it, I could speculate that that portion was underground at some point. Was it before you repotted? How long did you have it before you repotted?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The molecules of calcium are small enough to flow into the porous bark cavities and then be impossible to extricate. There should be some nominal space between the bark and the media so when you water the bark doesn't wick the water up. Looking back at it, I could speculate that that portion was underground at some point. Was it before you repotted? How long did you have it before you repotted?
I didn't notice that it was there before I repotted it. Yes, it was buried deep in the original soil though. I bought it from a Pike's nursery, when I repotted it, the root ball was extremely tiny, it looked like it was a recent cutting. I probably could have fit it in a mame pot pretty easily.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If that part was buried, that's where the calcium came from and that means it's deeply ingrained. Buy some liquid shoe polish that does NOT have silicone in it and apply it to the bark. Don't overdue it, you don't want it black black, you want to darken the white to an unobtrusive grey. Sneak up on it.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It looks a pretty bright white for this, but around here we have problems with powdery mildew in the garden, so that was my first thought. Though, here we rarely see on indoor plants.
If you find it on the leaves too- especially the undersides- that's it. Neem oil or similar helps, a few times, over a few weeks, according to the directions on the bottle, and make sure it's in a well ventilated position where everything but the roots can dry out after waterings. I've also heard of people who sprinkle lightly with or spray a solution of baking soda.
If that IS what it is, hit hard and fast or it will eat right through the leaves. It's hard to kill once set in, but easier to prevent.
Good luck!

Top Bottom