Serissa has buds on branch but not growing

Jose Fonseca

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi,

I am hoping someone in here might have some ideas to help with my Serissa. I will give you a list of events that happen once the health of my tree dropped. The tree has recovered most of the leaf's again except for one branch. That branch does have many buds but it really is not growing.

Oct 17, 2021: repotted the tree to a smaller container.
March 30, 2022: Once I noticed the health of the tree declined; after having positive progress for a few months. I decided to swap pot it into a bigger pot did not touch the root ball. Once I removed it from the small pot I notice all the Akadama was disintegrate and became like mud.
March 31, 2022: The tree started recovering and leaves started coming back out.
June 4, 2022: almost all branches recovered except one. The one branch does have a bunch of buds but I am not seeing any growth. Almost like supper small baby leves.

Another issue I am seeing is I am not getting any shoots like most growth seasons.

I am wondering if I am being impatient or is this something I need to worry about to help this branch recover. I would appreciate any help I can get

Attachments

• Serissa_Oct17.png
    Serissa_Oct17.png
    542 KB · Views: 41
  • Serissa_March31.png
    Serissa_March31.png
    740.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Serissa_June4_02.png
    Serissa_June4_02.png
    630.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Serissa_June4_01.png
    Serissa_June4_01.png
    580.3 KB · Views: 44

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Reckon the design god's are requesting it removed, they are never wrong!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
In the last photo it looks like those branches are dead. With concave cutters, cut about a half inch off the end of each branch. If you see bright green don't cut more. If you don't see bright green, keep cutting the branch off a little at a time until you see bright green.

Did you do a scratch test on the trunk? Take something sharp, a knife...and lightly scratch the trunk. You should see bright green. If you don't see bright green, it means it's dead.

Try it on a few places on the trunk.

Did you use small akadama when it was planted in it? You said it had turned to mud. When this happened the akadama was staying wet and the serissa got too much water. They're extremely sensitive to watering! I feel certain the akadama sludge caused the problem to start with and they may have gotten overwatered afterwards.

Learning to not overwater serissas is probably the first most important thing to learn. I'm sorry this is happening but try finding green inside the branches and on the trunk and see what you find.

Jose Fonseca

Seedling
Reaction score
In the last photo it looks like those branches are dead. With concave cutters, cut about a half inch off the end of each branch. If you see bright green don't cut more. If you don't see bright green, keep cutting the branch off a little at a time until you see bright green.

Did you do a scratch test on the trunk? Take something sharp, a knife...and lightly scratch the trunk. You should see bright green. If you don't see bright green, it means it's dead.

Try it on a few places on the trunk.

Did you use small akadama when it was planted in it? You said it had turned to mud. When this happened the akadama was staying wet and the serissa got too much water. They're extremely sensitive to watering! I feel certain the akadama sludge caused the problem to start with and they may have gotten overwatered afterwards.

Learning to not overwater serissas is probably the first most important thing to learn. I'm sorry this is happening but try finding green inside the branches and on the trunk and see what you find.
Thanks,

I will need to try this; I figured due to the buds being green on the branch is a sign of it being alive. I hope the branch is not dead but have to check. I would hate to loss that branch.

p_anova

Mame
Reaction score
Washington DC. DC ARBORETUM IS BEHIND MY HOUSE!
Thanks,

I will need to try this; I figured due to the buds being green on the branch is a sign of it being alive. I hope the branch is not dead but have to check. I would hate to loss that branch.
I agree with Sorce. I think the tree would look much better without the branch, show off more of the trunk. Serissa's are fussy by nature and don't like being moved around too much once they get comfortable with their placement. They drop leaves at a moments notice but usually bounce back if you are patient. I would just leave it as is and see what happens in the fall.

Top Bottom