Serissa Stress

cptgro

Seedling
Reaction score
Having a problem with Serissa dropping leaves after moving indoor and re-potting. I,m in NY-Long Island area and had this tree outdoors all summer where it was in good light with watering from sprinklers system almost daily. Had good new growth and appeared very healthy. I moved it indoors to a southern exposure window and it began to drop leaves. Took it to my local Bonsai dealer and he recommended re-potting, which I did with his soil mix which is good draining, and roots looked good. Afterwards it continued to drop leaves. I water about every 2-3 days when the water meter drops to just above the red zone. I have been feeding it with Bonsai fertilizer and used Super thrive vitamin after re potting. I had the same problem with this tree last winter while indoors. Any suggestions? Hate to lose this tree.Serrisa.jpgSerrisa 2.jpgSerrisa 3.jpg
Serrisa.jpgSerrisa 2.jpgSerrisa 3.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it to my local Bonsai dealer and he recommended re-potting, which I did with his soil

Allow me to slap that dude before someone asks your location and I gotta find out who it is that deserves the slap.

Welcome to Crazy!

You got "service managered".

Sold some shit you didn't need by recommending an operation that's detrimental.

Shame on them.

If Serissa is a finicky bitch, a variegated serissa is a blonde, finicky bitch.

That shop got their pimpin wrong.

Sorce

cptgro

Seedling
Reaction score
So any suggestions? Shop is good have been dealing with them for years. This Serissa about 4 years old and has done this before, so I can go with the repotting possibility. I have cutting I grew from same tree that are doing OK just this once seems to go through tremendous stress. Trying to find a solution

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I had the same problem with this tree last winter while indoors
This Serissa about 4 years old and has done this before,
I think that is your answer. They don't take kindly to being moved inside, but should recover after it has it's hissy fit. I also agree with @sorce that the repot before coming inside was a bad idea.

cptgro

Seedling
Reaction score
Repotted itabout a month ago. Hopeing it comes back

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Three strikes but I don't think you're out. My serissas have never dropped any leaves nor have I seen a healthy one do so.

Repotting a sub-tropical up north in Oct/Nov is a very bad idea.

Moving a serissa is a bad idea no matter where you live. They just don't like being moved.

It needs more light! It's not going to thrive in a window regardless of which direction it faces. You're going to need to buy a grow light.

Don't fertilize a plant when it's stressing.

Get a grow light asap and give it some time and then fertilize. I suspect it needs more nitrogen due to the yellow leaves.

If you get a grow light on this I think it has a chance. Don't love it to death. Make a note of when you fertilize and don't overdo it. Ohhh...One more thing? Important. Did you bare root this when you repotted?

It should come back although you did make some poor choices and it's telling you so. I don't know what else it has to say but I think it should come back. I'm in the south though and mine are probably more resilient Good luck and get a grow light!

cptgro

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you for that all great points well taken. I didn't do a full bare root re-potting but I did take off some off the excess roots that were exposed, very minimal. Will give it a try.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Good you didn't bare root. Won't go into it but that's a very good thing.

Am hoping all will work out but you need to get some light on it. Don't move the tree around until spring when you put it back outdoors. Let it stay put.

Just let it rest from the stress before you start with the fertilizer.

Keep people here posted on its progress. Good luck.

cptgro

Seedling
Reaction score
Whats your thoughts on using the Super Thrive which is a vitamin recommended for transplants and good health. Do you feel its worthwhile or don't use anything.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Please use the search bar and educate yourself on bonsai fertilizers.

The one you mentioned doesn't even contain N-P-K...It's a wonder your tree is still alive. Honestly, that's crazy.

Please educate yourself and buy a fertilizer with a balanced N-P-K and lots of added nutrients.

cptgro

Seedling
Reaction score
Thats not a fertilizer its a vitamin solution for plants used for transplants and regular maintenance. I use regular Bonsai fertilizer for regular feeding -Bonsai Pro 7-9-5. Super Thrive has been around for years recommended by Bonsai enthusiasts and general garden/plant suppliers everywhere.

Top Bottom