Serissa suggestions

JVal

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Suggestions? I've had it since mid May. If i remember right the tag on it said it was 2-3 years. Definitely had some growth since I got it. I live in SE Wis. Trying to get an idea of what it'll need for the coming winter months. Maybe suggestions on trimming, wireing, re-potting? 1st and 2nd pic is day of purchase. 3rd and 4th are from today.20170519_174611.jpg 20170519_175106.jpg 20170921_190348.jpg 20170921_190326.jpg

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
That is a nice one, I have that variety and it is the only one that keeps its variegation when in full sun. Has it bloomed, it should have white flowers. Probably not three years old, most likely a one year old rooted cutting. As MichaelS said, it needs to be thinned out. Serissa can be wired anytime. If it were mine, I would decide which branches I wanted to keep, trim the rest off (make sure to strike the cuttings, they root easily) and then wire for shape.

I don't know how cold it gets for you in winter, so it might need to come inside. Serissa are subtropical, not tropical and I find that they do better if they get exposed to a little chill. The ones that I have in pots stay outside unless it is gonna get below 35 F.

Hope it helps,

John

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If it were mine, I would decide which branches I wanted to keep, trim the rest off (make sure to strike the cuttings, they root easily) and then wire for shape.

Hi John! In another thread I suggested he just to a good trimming for now as his growing season is shorter as is mine. The branch removal would be best where I am in late May, Early June while they are kicking into heavy growth.

What say you Sir? :p

Grimmy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Hi John! In another thread I suggested he just to a good trimming for now as his growing season is shorter as is mine. The branch removal would be best where I am in late May, Early June while they are kicking into heavy growth.

What say you Sir? :p

Grimmy

Yes, you are probably right Grimmy, I keep forgetting that not everyone has the year round growth I have.

Top Bottom