Serissa variegata help

Hakkon

Seed
Reaction score
Hello to all, I received this serissa as a gift in September and tried to do everything I mostly red here or in the book about bonsai (it's my first tree). It was always green, without marks of overflooding. I kept it on a window from the inside, not too much/not too less sun, temperature about 10-15 Celsius. This happened in 2 days and I really don't know what I did wrong or what could happened. Please is there any chance that this may get better? To be honest I am very crushed with this state, also the brownish part at the bottom of the trunk is new, not sure why it is there Thanks in advance for any help!
image2.jpegimage1.jpegimage0.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks dead, sorry. Serissa doesn’t do well inside and isn’t a beginner-friendly tree like a ficus nerifolia is.

Hakkon

Seed
Reaction score
Looks dead, sorry. Serissa doesn’t do well inside and isn’t a beginner-friendly tree like a ficus nerifolia is.
Ah I see, that is very bad.. I really tried to keep it in the most suitable place as I red a lot of guides here and there. Thanks Brian anyway.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
It does look dead and that's a shame because this was an older serissa.

Where are you in the country and I'm wondering why you didn't have it outdoors. These like a lot of sun so I'm wondering why it wasn't outside?

Before you toss it take a sharp knife and scrape it gently against the trunk and see if there is any green at all to be found beneath the outer surface? Take all the dead leaves off if there is green and let us know if you're up north or in the south before anything else can be said.

Hakkon

Seed
Reaction score
It does look dead and that's a shame because this was an older serissa.

Where are you in the country and I'm wondering why you didn't have it outdoors. These like a lot of sun so I'm wondering why it wasn't outside?

Before you toss it take a sharp knife and scrape it gently against the trunk and see if there is any green at all to be found beneath the outer surface? Take all the dead leaves off if there is green and let us know if you're up north or in the south before anything else can be said.
There is still green beneath the surface.
I am located in the Central Europe, at the part where temperatures are not so constant and more like mild-cold weather.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're not alone!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Hakkon

Seed
Reaction score
You're not alone!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
Thank You Sorce, will look into it!

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Under- or overwatering. What is your watering regime? Did you change its location recently?
Do not toss the tree away, it can recover if its still alive. Give it some time, if its still alive it will push new leaves soon enough.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most likely overwatered. Soil looks extremely bad --holding on to too much water. If you've been watering on a schedule--every day, every other day, etc., or submerging the pot as a watering method, this can be the result. In addition, as noted, serissa is an unforgiving species. It is not a beginners tree as it reacts badly to over/under watering, low light, and other conditions.

As far as keeping this one, I'd just throw it out. Even if it does survive, that won't last long, as it faces the same conditions. Ficus is a much better "indoor" species for bonsai. It is tough and can stand inadvertent abuse.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
If there is still green on the trunk your tree is still alive.

My first thought when I looked at your pics is that you've overwatered or underwatered. You probably have a gut feeling which one it is.

In the fall and winter your serissa will need less water. In the summer they need to be watered daily. The soil only needs to be damp when you do water during fall and winter and not soaked. You'll only need to water about twice a week and not daily. Depending on how you water...It could be more often like three times a week but I have a serissa that size and twice a week in enough.

Remove the dead leaves and you'll need to get a grow light asap to keep it alive.

If the soil is soggy you may have to remove the soil and put it in new soil. In the spring the tree is large enough to be repotted in bonsai soil and put in a shallow bonsai pot. Seek out someone with experience to work with you on this if possible.

Don't fertilize the tree until spring.

Please adjust your personal info beneath your name so we know what country you're in?

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Under- or overwatering. What is your watering regime? Did you change its location recently?
Do not toss the tree away, it can recover if its still alive. Give it some time, if its still alive it will push new leaves soon enough.
With that crap substrate its pretty much imposible to know could be both, thats the principal cause of dead in comercial malsais

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
That serissa is not a malsai. Serissas at bonsai nurseries are grown in potting soil for quite a number of years before they're put in bonsai soil. That was a very nice tree but it is time for it to be put in bonsai soil in the spring.

There is some white on top of an area of the soil that concerns me. What is that? If it's a fungus or mold then you have another or different problem. I would probably change the soil regardless but only to a different potting soil. I wouldn't do a full repotting this time of year.

Can you take a picture of the area where's there's white on top of the soil? You may need to spray your plant with neem oil if it's some sort of fungus or mold.

Top Bottom