Serissa

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Time to prune I’d say! Anyone else here a fan of these tricky little guys? I’ll be posting some pre and post prune shots in the next few days, but I’d love to hear everyone’s input! I’ve had all these trees for about nine years now, and all we’re grown from cuttings from a single parent tree.

the Saran Wrap keeps the cat out...

36C59701-8ABC-462B-9EDE-D393C8C3382A.jpeg
44BF5AD5-1EE0-455F-8F83-F2A7FA2BF2BA.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I love Serissas! ... those are some great-looking “subjects”.

I eagerly await the mentioned progressional analysis!

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Wonderful!!!
Every specimen possesses much potential! You can definitely see the general path you outlined for these trees.

I greatly enjoy the most “classic” looking one...and that’s not like me.

They look happy!

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Wonderful!!!
Every specimen possesses much potential! You can definitely see the general path you outlined for these trees.

I greatly enjoy the most “classic” looking one...and that’s not like me.

They look happy!

Thank you! They’ve all been wired- all the photos were pre-wire.

Bman7689

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Man all these gorgeous trees. My serissa is on life support. Put in a pot with a humidity tray, started yellowing, changed the soil because it was holding too much moisture, thought I was good. Little by little the leaves kept yellowing/turning black. Checked inside, it was soaking wet, the water from the humidity tray was literally inside the pot. I guess the rocks that came with it were too small and when I refilled the tray it would go up the drainage hole. Repotted and defoliate what was left, the leaves were all turning anyways. Currently in a bigger pot with more soil and better draining. Waited a few days and watered for the first time yesterday. The tree is still green under the bark so hope remains. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Sorry this was so long.

Cmd5235

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Man all these gorgeous trees. My serissa is on life support. Put in a pot with a humidity tray, started yellowing, changed the soil because it was holding too much moisture, thought I was good. Little by little the leaves kept yellowing/turning black. Checked inside, it was soaking wet, the water from the humidity tray was literally inside the pot. I guess the rocks that came with it were too small and when I refilled the tray it would go up the drainage hole. Repotted and defoliate what was left, the leaves were all turning anyways. Currently in a bigger pot with more soil and better draining. Waited a few days and watered for the first time yesterday. The tree is still green under the bark so hope remains. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Sorry this was so long.
First, thank you for the compliment! About your message (and no need to apologize for the length!) they are super tricky trees, and I lost a few before I kinda...got into the groove with them. I’ve learned a few things that may help. I never keep my trees on a humidity tray. They’re on a tray, but that is just to facilitate watering and keeps it cleaner. I go with a mostly cactus mix for them, as with other trees. It has a good organic mix, but also drains well. I get great growth. You can also go with a more inorganic blend, but the key for me is that I never water them until the soil is dry. I’m taking like almost wilting dry. Super dry. Then, I water them well until a bit comes out the bottom. I leave that in the bottom of the tray until it evaporates and repeat. I’ve found this works well. I also have them inside during the winter, but outside as soon as night temps are around 60. I’ll leave them outside until October or later (nights around 48 degrees). I hope this helps!

Bman7689

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
First, thank you for the compliment! About your message (and no need to apologize for the length!) they are super tricky trees, and I lost a few before I kinda...got into the groove with them. I’ve learned a few things that may help. I never keep my trees on a humidity tray. They’re on a tray, but that is just to facilitate watering and keeps it cleaner. I go with a mostly cactus mix for them, as with other trees. It has a good organic mix, but also drains well. I get great growth. You can also go with a more inorganic blend, but the key for me is that I never water them until the soil is dry. I’m taking like almost wilting dry. Super dry. Then, I water them well until a bit comes out the bottom. I leave that in the bottom of the tray until it evaporates and repeat. I’ve found this works well. I also have them inside during the winter, but outside as soon as night temps are around 60. I’ll leave them outside until October or later (nights around 48 degrees). I hope this helps!
Thank you for the advice. I'm really new to bonsai and this is my first serissa. I did go into this knowing I was going to kill things due to ignorance, but that's how we learn right?

Bman7689

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also based on other threads it's quite obvious mine didn't have enough light to match the water it had, even though it was basically underwater lol. No amount of light is gonna match that here in IL. So I hope a move outside will help and bring her back to me. Not getting my hopes up yet. Do you keep the trays under your pots when they are outside or do you just let them drain freely onto the ground?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Also based on other threads it's quite obvious mine didn't have enough light to match the water it had, even though it was basically underwater lol. No amount of light is gonna match that here in IL. So I hope a move outside will help and bring her back to me. Not getting my hopes up yet. Do you keep the trays under your pots when they are outside or do you just let them drain freely onto the ground?
Just curious, where in IL?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
No idea where that is, lol. North, south, near what big city?

Bman7689

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh dang. Yeah you're way south of me. I bet it warmer at least lol.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Oh dang. Yeah you're way south of me. I bet it warmer at least lol.
Yeah, practically paradise. Frost warning last weekend, 80 today. ;) Serissa are tough. Get yourself a little more user friendly trees.

Bman7689

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, practically paradise. Frost warning last weekend, 80 today. ;) Serissa are tough. Get yourself a little more user friendly trees.
I know but they are so pretty lol. I knew based on what I read it was gonna be tough. Good thing I'm always down for a challenge lol. We had the same thing last weekend, you're a bit warmer than me today though only in the 70s here lol.

Top Bottom