Setting secondary structure and starting refinement

maroun.c

Omono
Reaction score
Have a few trees I had repotted in april 2021 (maple, juniper,olive, elm,) whi h made it fine and this year I'm already fertilizing heavy and letting grow untouched to recover energy.
I would like to start setting structure, and working on refining a little so I have at least a few nice to look at trees on the bench.
Do u think mid spring (now) or this fall would be a good time to start working on them or better let them be till early spring next year ?
Normally would u remove branches and wire at same time or one thing every year? How about wiring and cleaning 3s to 2s or just removing top and bottom branches ?
Thanks

Malix

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I usually do really large cuts or chops in Late spring/ summer where I am. It gives time to heal big wounds before winter. Only on vigorous trees. Any kind of pruning can be done around this time really. Fall time is when I do most of my structural pruning again avoiding large wounds on deciduous. Must be done as soon as the leaves begin to fall off.
Wiring of conifers I tend not to do in summer as sap flow is high and One can separate the bark from the branch when bending. Of course some are careful with this and do some light bending without damage.

you’re asking important questions for different species and perhaps it’s best you understand the differences in how plants grow. Different types of plants are doing different things a different times of year. It’s best if you find some resources like the books or websites to help you wrap your mind around the bigger picture which is really what’s needed to make sure you understand what the outcome will be of whatever action you are taking. It’s never so simple as do this during this time of year and that during that time of year.

i like this blog for good info www.bonsaitonight.com

bonsai mirái also has a fantastic video series that cover all these topics but it’s spendy.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Different species can cope with different things so hard to give blanket advice.
Maple, olive and elm are generally OK to trim and wire if they are showing good growth after repotting as roots recover easily and quickly.
Junipers take longer so need more caution.
I have no problem with remove branches and wire in one operation if the tree is healthy and if it is not healthy you should probably not be doing either.

Top Bottom