Seven years in the life of a cutting!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought it might interest some forum members to see what can be the progress in a cutting over seven years! This is simply an example others may have much better progression or size! The cuttings were taken in spring 2013 by my son and I have raised them since in a succession of small pots up to the current grow box containers. Shimpaku " Itoigawa" smaller foliage strain with blue green coloration! The first photo's show year one, (2013) the next two photos ( 2020 ). Base size is 1 1/2 inch diameter roughly and overall height is 24 to 30 inches. Both have been pruned and wired over time to guide development so overall size has been affected by work done! But still an example for consideration.

Attachments

• Itoigawa cutting Ross.jpeg
    Itoigawa cutting Ross.jpeg
    166.4 KB · Views: 90
  • Itoigawa cutting Ross2.jpeg
    Itoigawa cutting Ross2.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0765.jpeg
    IMG_0765.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0766.jpeg
    IMG_0766.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 101

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How often did you repot them?
The initial pot was a 4 inch, then a six inch, then a colander (9 inch), then to the grow box. They have been in the grow box for two years. Will stay there for one more year and then into an Anderson flat until base is the desired size. Then begin the reversal process for maintenance pot and refinement! The goal is three inch trunks roughly!

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The initial pot was a 4 inch, then a six inch, then a colander (9 inch), then to the grow box. They have been in the grow box for two years. Will stay there for one more year and then into an Anderson flat until base is the desired size. Then begin the reversal process for maintenance pot and refinement! The goal is three inch trunks roughly!
So if all goes well based on the current growth rate of 1.5" in 7yrs...….you're looking at another 7yrs to hit your mark. Are you fertilizing heavy?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So if all goes well based on the current growth rate of 1.5" in 7yrs...….you're looking at another 7yrs to hit your mark.
I would guess half that. Increase in size is exponential: There is a lot more foliage now for added growth! Left alone and unpruned it might be even faster.

I am a little disappointed at the growth rate, considering I have about 50 cuttings rooting right now. I hoped for faster development, but I guess I will have to change my ideas :)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So if all goes well based on the current growth rate of 1.5" in 7yrs...….you're looking at another 7yrs to hit your mark. Are you fertilizing heavy?
Reasonably heavy but your expectations are different from mine. I expect to hit the 3 inch mark in 10-12 years. Initial growth cuttings is slower and then progresses more quickly as the rootball and foliage expands. Years 2-4 are not as explosive as 7-10. At least in my experience as a nursery grower young trees do not grow on an even trajectory! Another factor is the amount of work required in the initial stages of development can slow them down more than later years. Will not repot as often or reduce percentage of foliage as much.
Growing season has an effect as well. Southern, drier locations with longer growing seasons would progress more rapidly I expect.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would guess half that. Increase in size is exponential: There is a lot more foliage now for added growth! Left alone and unpruned it might be even faster.

I am a little disappointed at the growth rate, considering I have about 50 cuttings rooting right now. I hoped for faster development, but I guess I will have to change my ideas :)
Well, that may not be the case in other situations, after all this is just two cuttings and one example!

Yugen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
What a change in only seven years! What is to be expected for the growth in the next seven years?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Its hard to tell from the Pics, Did you let the wire bite in to help define the live vain?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Its hard to tell from the Pics, Did you let the wire bite in to help define the live vain?
No, the wire was applied for direction and movement not for future shari pattern. I prefer a more varied shari approach than the application of wire produces when shaping a tree. I also prefer the option of incorporating scars or areas of damage later on in the design stage. It is less of a barber pole effect in my view!

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What a change in only seven years! What is to be expected for the growth in the next seven years?
Totally dependant on the future. Some years are slowed with repot, some slowed with cut back, others accelerate with longer hotter summer! General expectation for Shimpaku juniper could easily be 4-5 inch trunks when grown in ground over a 10 year period! We placed 2 year old cuttings in the ground for landscape purposes around our house and retaining walls. They received no extra special care or fertilizer regime and reached those sizes easily! They were not cut back but allowed to grow freely during that time, unless they required damaged portions removed.
Growing for Bonsai is a very different process, Landscape nurseries probably have the year to certain size expectations down to a science. Species and cultivar vary of course!

Top Bottom