SF's Wisteria

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Well it looks like it didn't want to flower for me just yet but at least it's healthy.
This grows like a beast, that is 3 weeks worth of growth from bud burst. I can almost watch it grow live.

I put a bit of wire on it but I plan on cleaning it out at some point soon so didn't want to wire things I may cut later on.

Would it still be too early to do any trimming back?

IMG_9802.JPGfg.jpgIMG_9849.JPGfg.jpgIMG_9851.JPGfg.jpg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I let mine grow out then whack them back to 2-3 buds, wash and repeat. As Jonas points out, with the right timing you can get multiple flushes and develop refinement faster. Be aware that radical pruning can also result in mid-summer flowering, mine bloomed in July last year.

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Check out Jonas Dupuich’s post on his wisteria development

Well that seems remarkably unrealistic.

Where's the part where it's taking over your house?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I let mine grow out then whack them back to 2-3 buds, wash and repeat. As Jonas points out, with the right timing you can get multiple flushes and develop refinement faster. Be aware that radical pruning can also result in mid-summer flowering, mine bloomed in July last year.

That is what I was thinking of doing, I actually sat down and took notes for the first time the other day. Listened to Andrew Robson's brief mention of them which pretty much was in tune with Michael Hagedorn's blog plus scanned the posts here, Jonas' post was very timely too.
Hopefully I can work out what I'll keep and want to get rid of and then do a major trim back, a flowering would be nice but not going to hold my breath.

Top Bottom