Shade after repotting

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I was told recently that the whole idea of shading a tree for the first month or so after re-potting might in fact be a myth. I did a little research and I have come across many articles for shading and many that say sheltering from the wind is more important and good warm sun is actually necessary for the health of the tree and to encourage root growth. What thoughts do you guys have on the subject and what are your practices after re-potting?

kmdesigns

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Depends on the situation - your location, time of year, type of tree, and the nature of the repotting.

If you are moving seedlings to grow-out pots, for example, and are not trimming roots dramatically, and it is in the Spring, shade is probably not be necessary.

If you are potting up (for the first time) a tree dug up from the wild, and you had to cut roots dramatically in order to dig it up, and you live in a warm, dry climate, I think shade is a requirement - and you might also consider a humidity tent.

I typically shade my repots until I see new growth popping, unless I am REALLY confident that the tree is not being stressed. After all, what is the downside risk to shading?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Depends on the tree and location as mentioned. I tend to give repotted deciduous trees full sun immediately after repotting--if their leaves aren't all the way out. The warmth on the pots and soil can help with root regeneration. Of course, common sense should be used--full sun on a tree in leaf that has had a severe root pruning may not be the best thing...

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a big difference betwee re-potting a deciduous tree in dormancy (leafless state), or an evergreen tree, or a deciduous tree in full leaf.

So, the decision whether to go with full sun, or partial shade, is entirely dependent on the above, as well as on the season. There is no such thing as a generic answer that applies to everything, in any season.

Top Bottom