Shade cloth colors

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I need to order a second shade cloth. Currently I just have a 60% green for overwintering in my greenhouse. I want to get a 30% but see they come in 2 colors Black and Green. Any benefit to green over black or vice versa? My guess would be black is better as it won't change the color of the sunlight, but that's just a guess.

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
another focus to consider is that black will absorb heat better than green will. depending on the fabric this may lead to an earlier break down then the green.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
another focus to consider is that black will absorb heat better than green will. depending on the fabric this may lead to an earlier break down then the green.

But for 30 bucks or so if it reduces heat better below the cloth by absorbing it it would keep the area cooler then? I wouldn't mind buying one ever 2 years or so. The greens actually more expensive for some reason.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would do the black to absorb the heat and keep the area cooler. For sure. Esp. if I was thinking of going to a warmer clime.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Thanks Judy good point just ordered it. One of my shohin cherries is getting some burn, was gonna order it if we move anyway so figured i might as well do it now.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
I've always wondered, what % blockage of shade cloth would be classified as "partial sun"?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've always wondered, what % blockage of shade cloth would be classified as "partial sun"?

I bet it is in lumens...and % blockage is just that %. You need to establish your full sun first then apply the %. 30% may work up north but maybe not here in the south for some plants.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I bet it is in lumens...and % blockage is just that %. You need to establish your full sun first then apply the %. 30% may work up north but maybe not here in the south for some plants.

Well I have a 60% one too so If I need more could always use that. 30% should be more then enough in brooklyn. If I move out west then maybe I need 40-50.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
from wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lux

400 lux Sunrise or sunset on a clear day.
1,000 lux Overcast day;[2] typical TV studio lighting
10,000–25,000 lux Full daylight (not direct sun)[2]
32,000–130,000 lux Direct sunlight

Last edited:
Top Bottom