Shade cloth covering

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi all,

I was planning on building a shade cloth covering 30% for my more sun sensitive species. Are there any special considerations I need to take into account? I was basically planning on attaching some 4x4s to the edge of one of my benches and adding 2x4 cross beams on the top to drap the shade cloth over the bench. I would probably hang the cloth a couple feet about the tree tops.

lars

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
sounds like a good idea, im doing something similar, I'm making a multi purpose sun/wind/rabbit deterrent barrier around my garden beds, going to be using perforated stainless steel and aluminum, attached to boarded frames. I have various hole patterns that allow for differnt open areas for more or less wind or sun.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Will the shade cloth work as an effective wind break as well as provide shading or would you need something less porous ?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It cuts the wind significantly if you have side panels. I don't have an exact figure but I would estimate 80-90%.

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Keep in mind where the sun is during the hottest time of the year so you know which areas under the cloth are directly exposed in the hours leading up to noon. You might think your plant is in the shade when it is really not. I have a shade cloth facing east on only a part of my shade house for extra sensitive or small plants so these never get exposed to direct rays even when the sun is extremely low in the mornings or evenings.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I was planning on building a shade cloth covering 30% for my more sun sensitive species.

If we have an area we need to have sun sensitive plants in that receives full East, West, or East and West full sun we use 70 percent shade cloth. At 30 percent the change is insignificant in those conditions. The bungee type fasteners, grommets and side protection as @Bonsai Nut suggested are also a consideration not to be ignored - do right the first time, it is less frustrating and less expensive in the long run. I can only add getting precut to size sections of cloth hemmed at the edges, with grommets, in multiple colors is a lot less expensive then one might think.

Grimmy

Benny w

Yamadori
Reaction score
Bonsai nut -Where can I buy custom sized shade cloth?
Live in the central valley and my maples are either going to get fried in the back where shade cloth is needed or I perfect morning sun in the front but it's just a porch and it's just a matter of time someone's going to steal em.

moke

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Bonsai nut -Where can I buy custom sized shade cloth?
Live in the central valley and my maples are either going to get fried in the back where shade cloth is needed or I perfect morning sun in the front but it's just a porch and it's just a matter of time someone's going to steal em.
This is where I get them, I like the Aluminet cloth helps reflect some of the nasty UV rays we experience here at high altitudes.
It seems they have some of the best prices as well.
http://www.shadeclothstore.com/?wcw...MIjobl2Oat4QIVNRh9Ch3ZGQl_EAAYASAAEgKvRPD_BwE

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
We’re moving back into our house in about 2 months following a rebuild over the past year. The house is modern, and the side yard that I am using for this hobby gets blasted by afternoon sun largely from the side.

Was thinking of using an airy slatted fence (such as the attached examples) instead of shade cloth; maybe something that is hinged to allow it to fold down in the cooler months. Anyone using something similar?

A05907C5-F6A9-4247-B52B-506535E6972E.jpegB50177B6-9DD3-4306-A90D-28157EF6C068.jpeg

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We’re moving back into our house in about 2 months following a rebuild over the past year. The house is modern, and the side yard that I am using for this hobby gets blasted by afternoon sun largely from the side.

Was thinking of using an airy slatted fence (such as the attached examples) instead of shade cloth; maybe something that is hinged to allow it to fold down in the cooler months. Anyone using something similar?

View attachment 234870View attachment 234871

I moved into a new house and am considering something similar. I have seen a few examples of slatted shade protection but always overhead. I would worry that a setup like this would need to be extremely tall to accommodate mid-late afternoon sun. This all depends of course on the height of your trees and your benches.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
In place of shade cloth, could one use that plastic lath fencing like this. I read somewhere that they used to use lath fencing back when for the dappled sun affect. Sturdy, could be held on with bungees, and long lasting. Just wondered as I need something also.

Attachments

• brazilian-walnut-veranda-vinyl-73004144-64_1000.jpg
    brazilian-walnut-veranda-vinyl-73004144-64_1000.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 2

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In place of shade cloth, could one use that plastic lath fencing like this. I read somewhere that they used to use lath fencing back when for the dappled sun affect. Sturdy, could be held on with bungees, and long lasting. Just wondered as I need something also.

Yeah, I have thought about using something modular like that. I don't need covering in the spring or fall but middle of summer in North Carolina I need to help for my maples.

eryk2kartman

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Which shade cloth do you guys use for seedlings? ive alot of germinating JM but in the greenhouse is getting a bit to warm and they seems to be not very happy in direct sunlight.
Thanks in advance

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Just pushing this thread to the top to see if any of the posters (or anyone else with experience) used slatted fencing or lattices instead of shade cloth over the summer, and how it went. “Dappled sun” is what I’m hoping to create for my maples here in Southern California. Will still leave full sun areas for tropical and Mediterranean trees.

Thanks!

Top Bottom