Shade cloth question...?

Reaction score
Move to my new property in the winter and I didn't want to move here because I didn't like the options with the sun. The wife tells me it doesn't always revolve around the trees dear :( Well happy wife, happy life is how I was seeing it. So spring hits and the only good option for light is on the side yard during the hottest time of the day. So built a 10x10 box wooden frame as my shade cloth structure. This being my first time using one other bonsai guys told me to go with 30% shade cloth and I'll be fine. Did that for 2 days and I knew bad was going to come, I have had my run in with sunburnt trees. So used the extra I had and doubled layered it. The internet saying 30% + 30% = 51% shade cloth. Where they got that number I have no clue, but 51% seems like a lot and I'm still getting sunburnt leaves on some areas! That sound normal? I did research before buying and heard people say 50% and up was making their tress leggy. Not mine they are still going threw the struggles of the sun. Any info or history on using it be great.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Easier to create shade than sun!

Consider wind, and more water!

I feel it's rarely sun alone. And shade growth is more susceptible to hot and wind and bug damage.

Balance.

Sorce

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Kev,
Eastern US get summer rain correct? My wife comes from MA and when I was there one summer there were plenty of rainstorms. That means that compared to were I am or Sth California or the Sth African cape where we don't get much in the way of summer rain and can get jot dry winds from the desert, your humidity should be around 50 to 70% during summer. (that's just a guess). For example, our lawn is crispy brown during our July/March (our hottest time) Our humidity can get as low as 10% on bad days.
Now, I have to shade most of my trees over the hottest 2 months of summer. Not so much for burn but to keep them growing. I use a 75% shade cloth which in reality is probably more like 50%. Most people here use 50% cloth and do well with that. The temps here are also hotter than you would normally experience over there. 100 degrees is common. So all that leads me to suspect that you might not be watering enough or are unable to water enough or your mix is too open and dries out too fast. There are always some days where we can get sunburn on the trees if they are unshaded but if they are really well watered in the evening - I mean drenched soil bark and leaves, and sprayed well in the morning on hot days, you should not get too much burning of the leaves. Definitely in your climate 50% cloth should be more than enough shade I would think.

Top Bottom