Shade Cloth Question

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This summer was so brutally hot that I bought a shade cloth. My maples look better under it.

For those who use shade cloth, do you keep it in place during the fall?

With shorter days and lower sun angle, I was thinking of removing my shade cloth on Sept 1.
Any thoughts on removing the cloth would be helpful. Thanks

Frank

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
when they had the olympics in atlanta i'm sure they could've benefitted from your shadecloth but other than that-no idea- sorry...

Thomas J.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here in the DFW area where it stays hot sometimes well into Oct., that's when I'll remove mine because I know it won't be long until the frost starts coming in. I'll leave it off until mid May or early June when the sun starts getting real intense. Your trees will need the benefit of the spring sun to help build them up for the stress of summer so no shade cloth until you feel the heat starting to come and will probably be there for sometime. If you have mostly maples which leaves are sensitive to the hot sun in your area, then mid May might be a good time to start putting it back up.

Junipers and pines with the exception of shimpaku, can take the sun a bit more. In this area my shimp suffered extensively while I kept it in mainly in a sunny area during the heat of the summer. This year I put it under heavy shade cloth and it is doing great that way. Some areas of the country will allow shimps to be in the sun during the summer, but I found out that's not the case here in my area where the summers are really brutal, especially this one.:mad:

Last edited:

mrchips1952

Yamadori
Reaction score
This summer was so brutally hot that I bought a shade cloth. My maples look better under it.

For those who use shade cloth, do you keep it in place during the fall?

With shorter days and lower sun angle, I was thinking of removing my shade cloth on Sept 1.
Any thoughts on removing the cloth would be helpful. Thanks

Frank
Frank.... where did you buy your shade cloth and how do you have it suspended? The only area of my yard that I can use is a southern exposure and it gets too much hot afternoon sun. I know a shade would help immensly. Dave in Colorado

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought it at Charlie's Greenhouse. http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/

I bought it with the edges taped and with grommet holes. I used the holes to tie it to a chain link fence about 4 feet above the shelf level. I do not get high winds in my location but that is a consideration when fastening it down.

They sell it in different amount of shading - I bought the 50%. Some sizes and shading amounts are not in stock and take longer to ship.

My azalea and maples like it.

Frank

Top Bottom