Shade Concerns

Jerry

Seedling
Reaction score
I have my trees on the patio on the backside of my house. This is opposite the sun's daily track. My trees seem to say moist much longer than they should. I have attached a pic. Is this too much shade?20201130_135232.jpg

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'll weigh in. I may not have all the answers when it comes to timing or technique, but I know a thing or two about shade. I had one area of my yard that got about 3 hours of sun. It was the sunniest spot that made any sense. After that it was open shade mostly. Much brighter than what I see in your picture. Some members here can testify to my ability to grow a long needle (on a JRP) in that environment.

I recently "paid the man" and had a large swath of my property cleared of mature white oaks (mostly). I finally have full afternoon sun. Bright open shade from sunrise to about 10:00a. 10:00a - 5:30-6p full sun. In less than 2 weeks the foliage on my junipers had taken on a completely different characteristic.

Granted, these look tropical and my experience in that realm is close to nil. My guess is they will live in this location. That said, your trees want sunlight. To be at their best, they NEED it. The techniques described all over the bonsai world REQUIRE sunlight ...before AND after. If you have a brighter spot, your trees will appreciate it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

You might need a little better riggin!

Sorce

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you always keep your trees there, they will get used to that exposure. Some species will do well, and some will not, but if that's forever, they will just grow slower than they would in an ideal exposure. If you move them back and forth from high sun in summer to low sun in the off season they will have an adaptation period each time an drop leaves, then recover, then grow well, back to drop leaves, ad infinitum. If you are happy with slow growth/staying about the same size longer, then they will be fine.

If you click on your Icon in the upper right corner and add your location, people can give advice customized to your climate.

Jerry

Seedling
Reaction score
I'll weigh in. I may not have all the answers when it comes to timing or technique, but I know a thing or two about shade. I had one area of my yard that got about 3 hours of sun. It was the sunniest spot that made any sense. After that it was open shade mostly. Much brighter than what I see in your picture. Some members here can testify to my ability to grow a long needle (on a JRP) in that environment.

I recently "paid the man" and had a large swath of my property cleared of mature white oaks (mostly). I finally have full afternoon sun. Bright open shade from sunrise to about 10:00a. 10:00a - 5:30-6p full sun. In less than 2 weeks the foliage on my junipers had taken on a completely different characteristic.

Granted, these look tropical and my experience in that realm is close to nil. My guess is they will live in this location. That said, your trees want sunlight. To be at their best, they NEED it. The techniques described all over the bonsai world REQUIRE sunlight ...before AND after. If you have a brighter spot, your trees will appreciate it.
Thank you for your advice.

Jerry

Seedling
Reaction score
If you always keep your trees there, they will get used to that exposure. Some species will do well, and some will not, but if that's forever, they will just grow slower than they would in an ideal exposure. If you move them back and forth from high sun in summer to low sun in the off season they will have an adaptation period each time an drop leaves, then recover, then grow well, back to drop leaves, ad infinitum. If you are happy with slow growth/staying about the same size longer, then they will be fine.

If you click on your Icon in the upper right corner and add your location, people can give advice customized to your climate.

Top Bottom