Shade net/cloth

baron

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi,

as you can see my bonsai space is a terrace/balkony of about 4x3m.
It's located on the 3th floor and completely surrounded by higher buildings, this makes it quite wind sheltered unless the wind comes from the west.
During summer the sun will hit it from about 11 till about 6, then she drops behind the surrounding buildings.
Needless to say... it gets quite hot there during the day. Our cat won't go on it because the synthetic lawn feels like lava :p

Some trees don't mind as long as they get water on a daily basis, but I noticed the Azeala's and Maples seem to be suffering.
I tried hiding them behind the wooden enclosure and it worked during the spring, but now the sun just gets too high up.

So I decided the order a cheap shade cloth and give it a try.
I couldn't find that much info on shade cloths but this one should have a shading factor of approx. 45 %.

Just wondering if that would be too much? Anyone experience with hail etc? I'm assuming it will be shredded?

ps: my gf thinks I'm going nuts o_O

IMG_7085.JPG IMG_7087.JPG IMG_7089.JPG

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
45% should not be too much, you might have to go higher. We sometime use 60% or even 80%, but I live in a much hotter climate. A hail storm will definitely make some holes, but if most of the cloth is intact it will still be effective.

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Sounds like a good setup for maples. (I don't grow azaleas to know).

Top Bottom