Shading my benches......too soon?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I have had been experimenting cloudless days, and more than 30ºC on my benches.
This means to water 2 to 3 times a day. Also some of my most fragiles (maples, pseudolarix, metasequoia,....) have some weak scorching signs.
So 2 weeks ago I decided to deploy my 50% shade mess.
My question is, could I have problems doing so, so soon?....I'm thinking I will have it on until october.....Also about 40% of my benches are still shade free.

IMG_20220501_133641.jpg

Last edited:

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don't think you'll have a problem as long as the air remains dry. What you want to avoid is cool wet conditions, which creates an environment for fungus. In Southern California I used to water twice a day (automatically) and manually when needed, and tree foliage would dry within an hour - even when under shade cloth. That was using overhead broadcast sprayers. If you put drip irrigators in the pots, it will be even less of a potential issue, but I don't think you need them.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
All the symptoms you have described indicate time to provide shade.
Shade always creates longer growth but that's far better than dead or damaged trees.

For a couple of years I tried pushing the envelope to try without shade. First just to see if it could be done and second trying for really compact growth. I did manage to keep trees alive through hot summers but the extra work and leaf damage was not really worth it. Now I'm happy to put up the shade whenever temps get up and humidity goes down.

Do you know what shade factor your shade cloth has?

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the symptoms you have described indicate time to provide shade.
Shade always creates longer growth but that's far better than dead or damaged trees.

For a couple of years I tried pushing the envelope to try without shade. First just to see if it could be done and second trying for really compact growth. I did manage to keep trees alive through hot summers but the extra work and leaf damage was not really worth it. Now I'm happy to put up the shade whenever temps get up and humidity goes down.

Do you know what shade factor your shade cloth has?
Yes, it's a 50% shade. I think in my climate this is the right percentage.....
When I talk about "too soon", what I meant was that some of my trees could get leggy growth and long internodes. But as you say not to provide shade could be very demanding in manteinance and risky in the health of some species.
Thanks !!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I managed to get hold of even lighter shade for my bonsai. I think it is 35% which is not generally available retail but is used in larger scale horticulture where shade is needed but not too much.
50% will be Ok, especially as it is smaller so more light reaches the plants around the sides and morning/evening when the sun is lower.

Nice Dracena outside the fence!

Top Bottom