Shady's Latest Dumbassary

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Y'all know me and my propensity for simultaneously over and under thinking everything, and then attempting to actually DO the idiotic things I come up with. 🥴

Well, I decided I'd consolidate those stupid ideas into one thread to make it easier to pelt me with rotten produce.
🧅🍠🥬 🍅🍆😉🥔🌰

Not all are bonsai related, but many, if not most, so I'm putting it in General Discussion.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
To start us off, I reported my aloe vera this morning. It was in gawdawful soil, and while in better shape than it was a year ago when a friend asked me to save it from their east facing bathroom window, always terrifically unhealthy and barely hanging on.

There were many little sprouts from the roots, though, that I chose not to put back in the pot.
So I planted them in the yard.
IMG_20220313_121935_490.jpg
Our local soil is clay heavy and very dense, so I dug down and commenced to create a French drain of sorts in order to provide adequate drainage.
At the bottom are larger rocks- 2 fingers or better in diameter- then smaller gravel, then a layer of coarse sand. I then filled the last few inches with my homemade succulent mix - peat, mulch, brown matter compost/sand=1/1 mix roughly - and planted the suckers. Finally, a thin layer of more sand, and larger rocks around and between to keep the soil from displacing in heavy rain.

A frost forecast later in the week, during which I'll throw a pot on top of it for protection, but otherwise I want to see just how well it'll hold up outdoors in zone 6a.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hehe.
I somehow almost forgot about the Rocky Mountain maple seeds I have planted in a flat and stratifying in the fridge since January.
A whole shelf I can't use, but got so used to ignoring they hadn't entered my mind in weeks.

Huge compound leaves, but with any luck I'll know about the internode length before long.
Was unable to to find any info on propagating these except for this tree seed sales site.
I bookmarked it just as a reference. Says acer glabrum needs 180 days warm then 180 days cold stratification. This seems a bit much. That would mean about 2 years in the local climate in order to stratify naturally.
They got their warm waiting on me to get around to them for a few months since last fall, and I'll pull the flat as soon as frost danger has passed, usually about May.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, it's not like I could look that one up in the dictionary to check.
Though it does help send the point home. Lol

Believe it or not, I actually did look it up in a dictionary.

DUMB-ass-ery: noun (uncountable)
1. (slang, vulgar) Immature, foolish behavior; behavior typical of s dumbass.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Believe it or not, I actually did look it up in a dictionary.

DUMB-ass-ery: noun (uncountable)
1. (slang, vulgar) Immature, foolish behavior; behavior typical of s dumbass.
Wow.
They'll put anything in the dictionary now days.

Welp, too late now, just like the content of this thread.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I would have just planted the maple . Seeds and let nature stratify them in seed flats . It’s been my experience the long warm and cold strat recommendations . Are for dry stored seeds . Looked the tree up interesting .

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My latest stupid thought . We use composted conifer bark as a organic component is our soil . Erratic shaped holds moisture but even it breaks down over time . And how much do you get out of a bag . What about wood pellets . Manufactured for pellet stoves . And also pellet bbq . Very consistent size ( slightly large ) but it’s wood not park any last longer. . I think 2 biggest concerns are confident need to compost it . And the heat stove stuff is chemically treated . Dangerous to use in a bbq . May not be good for plants

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I would have just planted the maple . Seeds and let nature stratify them in seed flats . It’s been my experience the long warm and cold strat recommendations . Are for dry stored seeds . Looked the tree up interesting .
I thought about this, too, actually. I decided that starting them in late January might not leave sufficient cold hours just outside in nature. Especially with the wild temperature swings we can get around here.

I'm about to pull them out of the fridge, though, just as soon as I find a safe place to put them.

My two cents on wood pellets: They're essentially pressed sawdust. I think they would break down too quickly, and turn into slop.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I thought about this, too, actually. I decided that starting them in late January might not leave sufficient cold hours just outside in nature. Especially with the wild temperature swings we can get around here.

I'm about to pull them out of the fridge, though, just as soon as I find a safe place to put them.

My two cents on wood pellets: They're essentially pressed sawdust. I think they would break down too quickly, and turn into slop.
Ya did some research on the pellets . I thought they were chunks of wood . Found out like you said they are pressed together

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Still, if you're the sort that adds saw dust to their mix - water retention, or feeding mycorrhizae, etc. - they may still be of use if considered in the same way as sawdust.
I don't think they'd be practical in my climate, but I imagine someone would find benefit in them.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No I’m more interested in organic component that is long term . Especially for eastern hemlock . Several schools of thought on them . In nature there a shallow rooted and love the loose top layer in the forest . So they like drainage they like organic and they like to have there roots left alone . As far as I’m concerned

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Update:
Aloe vera in the ground is all dead. It was all the tiny, sickly shoots anyway, so not too surprising.
Rocky Mountain maple seeds are caput. Lesson; don't stratify seeds IN the substrate. You only cut corners to composting them.
Also, keep them out of reach of three year olds. That didn't help anything either.

BTW, would you say this paneling has a, "sci-fi," feel to it, specifically, "cyberpunk?"

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Did the 3 year old go squirrel and eat them 😂😂 the kitchen fridge normally is barely capable of the requirements for cold stratification and we often ignore the fungicide recommendation . Yielding inconsistent. Results what’s white the panelling you going Spock on us 😂😂

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, believe it or not, the aloe vera I planted in the ground in February is still alive. Doesn't look great, but it looks not dead yet, but a bit of new growth to boot.

Also I set this up today...
IMG_20220612_143356_143.jpg
Large scale version of a humidity tray for some of my plants and trees.
Laugh if you want to, but so far I've been able to keep the relative humidity in this corner of the yard over 30%, and I'm still aiming at 50%.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, believe it or not, the aloe vera I planted in the ground in February is still alive. Doesn't look great, but it looks not dead yet, but a bit of new growth to boot.

Also I set this up today...
View attachment 441764
Large scale version of a humidity tray for some of my plants and trees.
Laugh if you want to, but so far I've been able to keep the relative humidity in this corner of the yard over 30%, and I'm still aiming at 50%.
Honestly shady I forget the numbers . It was about 15 years ago . A friend of mine got a fairly elaborate weather station ( elaborate at that time ) multiple sensors and a monitor system for his computer . He experimented with several humility sensors and techniques . Now his yard I was sheltered on 3 sides so wind is not a factor to lower humidity . And our weather has higher humidity often then mist think . Some things were obvious like the spike in the bonsai area after watering all the trees . Humidity trays like your using worked for a isolated area . But the big surprise was the installation of a small waterfall 20 foot winding stream thru the yard to a small 6 foot round pool . The moving water when on had a dramatic effect on humidity far more than expected and far higher than when off

Top Bottom