Shady's Latest Dumbassary

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just have it. No great experience as yet, sorry.
Asked coz I was too lazy to Google, then googled anyway, it seems like they don’t want too much sun, then they turn red. Stupid me thought that succulents equals desert equals punish them with sunlight. So don’t do that.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, for those of you who haven't heard, I recently lost my job. Best job I've every had, by a VERY wide margin, but I got caught up in the workplace politics. Since then I've been quite depressed of course, and really hating the entire idea of going looking for another run of the mill, miserable, bill payer after having had such an incredible experience the past few years. I finally pulled myself out of it the other day when I told myself, "if you're going to be home all day moping and brooding, why don't you just make yourself useful around the house while you're at it." Next thing I know all the laundry and dishes are caught up, the garden is harvested, I'm working on homework and with my 13 year old, and making cinnamon rolls from scratch. I instantly turned into the best stay at home mom any man could be, and felt like a million bucks.

Then I got to thinking, if this is what I've always loved doing the most, and I'm never happy working for others, why shouldn't I look at ways to make it work for me.
That's a scary proposition, and had me anxious at the very thought of it.
Well tonight at my recovery meeting, one of the guys, who does odd jobs and handyman work for a living, asked if anyone needed any copper. Just giving it away. Apparently today's job was cleaning out a rental after the tenant got busted for an illegal cannabis grow op, and now this guy has TRUCK LOADS of growing supplies and miscellaneous related equipment.

I took this off his hands tonight, and there's plenty more where that came from.
View attachment 456806
About 35lbs of #2 and #6 copper wire, and...

View attachment 456807
Several sets of shelves, and ferts and other chems by the gallon.

And that's just the stuff I could make immediate use of. There's ventilation blowers, propane heaters, he says like 50 more jugs of ferts and chems, all sorts of stuff. Free.

If there's a God, and if God gives us signs...

I am SERIOUSLY considering the greatest act of dumbassery I've ever contemplated; jumping both feet into trying to make a living off a backyard nursery.
Thoughts?
Most certainly He does exist. Time to work on humility. Consider boarding Bonsai, plants in personal yard and theirs. Perhaps cleaning out rentals, reselling what is found🤔? At least around here jobs going begging.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Asked coz I was too lazy to Google, then googled anyway, it seems like they don’t want too much sun, then they turn red. Stupid me thought that succulents equals desert equals punish them with sunlight. So don’t do that.
That's what I'm learning with these. I assumed I could treat them like cactus, but they aren't cactus. I've had to put shade over them and everything.
If I try again, I'll be moving locations for sure.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, for those of you who haven't heard, I recently lost my job. Best job I've every had, by a VERY wide margin, but I got caught up in the workplace politics. Since then I've been quite depressed of course, and really hating the entire idea of going looking for another run of the mill, miserable, bill payer after having had such an incredible experience the past few years. I finally pulled myself out of it the other day when I told myself, "if you're going to be home all day moping and brooding, why don't you just make yourself useful around the house while you're at it." Next thing I know all the laundry and dishes are caught up, the garden is harvested, I'm working on homework and with my 13 year old, and making cinnamon rolls from scratch. I instantly turned into the best stay at home mom any man could be, and felt like a million bucks.

Then I got to thinking, if this is what I've always loved doing the most, and I'm never happy working for others, why shouldn't I look at ways to make it work for me.
That's a scary proposition, and had me anxious at the very thought of it.
Well tonight at my recovery meeting, one of the guys, who does odd jobs and handyman work for a living, asked if anyone needed any copper. Just giving it away. Apparently today's job was cleaning out a rental after the tenant got busted for an illegal cannabis grow op, and now this guy has TRUCK LOADS of growing supplies and miscellaneous related equipment.

I took this off his hands tonight, and there's plenty more where that came from.
View attachment 456806
About 35lbs of #2 and #6 copper wire, and...

View attachment 456807
Several sets of shelves, and ferts and other chems by the gallon.

And that's just the stuff I could make immediate use of. There's ventilation blowers, propane heaters, he says like 50 more jugs of ferts and chems, all sorts of stuff. Free.

If there's a God, and if God gives us signs...

I am SERIOUSLY considering the greatest act of dumbassery I've ever contemplated; jumping both feet into trying to make a living off a backyard nursery.
Thoughts?
Initial thoughts are . Starting any business is risky . Make sure your family is protected from financial failure of the business . Grow what will sell . Find a niche in a market . As a small supplier quality products will get you farther the. Quantity. Turning a hobby into a business is tough . You risk losing the hobby for one . But can be rewarding . Good luck I wish you success

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I started a non profit an couple years back and discovered that starting these and LLC’s was very easy.

Many states walk you through by the hand. For example in Colorado

…and then again, there are those folks that simply do cash only.

@Potawatomi13 ideas are really good starters. …and creating jobs is really much easier for those with a built in network like you have.

Keep your chin up 😉

cheers
DSD sends

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@ShadyStump
Sorry about the job.... that's rough
I have to agree with @Frozentreehugger
Starting a business from scratch is risky and you'll have little to no income at all for a while just getting started. Usually there are set up costs to get going that can sometimes be substantial.

I recommend really sitting down and writing out all the pros and cons.

Include the costs, the time involved to do it, time before you can start seeing any income and what it would take to see any profit to pay yourself.

Include what your current financial state is and whether you can truly afford to try it full time now. Be very honest with yourself about it and you will come to the right decision.

I wish you the best in whatever you decide.

Frozentreehugger

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not knowing what you plan to grow . For Your business . The safe route would be to concentrate on getting a job to pay the bills . Start growing your plants and business as a part time thing . . There is always opportunities weekend events and markets to sell your products . That way you can grow your business possible into a business that you can do full time . Multiple successful businesses have started this way . @Paradox recommended do some homework . Other possible business options may be producing for commercial nurseries . Instead of the public . Supplier of seedlings or grafting unique cultivars .

nuttiest

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I make little money on ebay fall plant sales compared to how hard I work all year at it, but there is one thing I would do to boost sales from the beginning: just buy nursery stock and mark it up $25 and sell it with NO WORK done to it. There are a lot of species that people across the country are happy to pay for that simply because they can't get it in their zone. Bouganvillea, citrus if you live south, Japanese maple, conifers if you live north. Juniper are great for selling during holiday season, some will buy just for greenery, you can sell sprigs.
Among other landscape refuse I wish I had kept, a nasty mistletoe on my elm I killed, but could have sold sprigs of that too!
Some of the easy rooting hot plants are monstera variegated, certain cactus, and zz plant the dark one.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
All good thoughts, folks. I appreciate it.

To clarify, I'm not thinking bonsai, at least not right off the bat. I'm leaning toward gardening, landscape, and house plants mostly, and some kitsch for the farmers market in the form of keeping my potted peppers and ginger and the like, and just taking the plants - pots and all - and sell produce right off the bush sort of thing.
As far as the gardening end, I thought I'd specialize in uncommon varieties. Non-annuum pepper species for example. The sorts of things that will pull a customer base from all over the state, and high prices. For landscape, start from cuttings with the basics like buxus, but start a bunch of harder to find native trees for sale now the road. Wasatch maple, curl leaf mountain mahogany, etc.

So, I really am thinking niche markets, and it won't be the only thing going on. I'd need a MUCH bigger yard for that anyway. I'm still looking for more reliable work, pushing my skills in other things I have going on so those can become part of it. I'm well aware that the first few years of such a venture will be incredibly underwhelming in their success, and that it wouldn't be a living for 5 to 10. Actually, all the potential pitfalls mentioned are why I've never given serious thought to working for myself until now.

Really, it's just how often does a windfall of this sort come along and, the timing is something else altogether.
It's really hard to ignore.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, you know those engineering challenges where you get a box full of random stuff and have to find a way to achieve a particular thing with it?
I don't have a box.
I DO HAVE a shed dangerously full of a curiously diverse assortment of random odds and ends.

Any thoughts on how to locally raise the humidity in my living room window area?
It stays at about 30% lately just from the foliage transpiration, occasionally spiking as high as 70% after watering or when the heater kicks on and increases evaporation for a few minutes.
I'd like to get it to stay 40% or better.
It cannot involve removing the trees and plants from view. If I did that there'd be no point in having them, and my mental health would suffer. I also have no money, so no gadget shopping.

Already turned every drip tray into a humidity tray, and the hygrometer barely budged, up just a couple percent.
My first next thought is I think there's a little pond pump somewhere.🤔🤔🤔

Throw your nutty ideas out there and we'll see what we come up with.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Lower the temperature of the room and it will raise the relative humidity. That’s why it’s called “relative” humidity.
Just don’t lower the temperature with an air conditioner.

Last edited:

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Lower the temperature of the room and it will raise the relative humidity. That’s why it’s called “relative” humidity.
Just don’t lower the temperature with an air conditioner.
I've actually noticed this recently. I turn the heater down at night while sleeping under blankets to save on the heating bill. Got up this morning and the hygrometer was resting about 40%.
This won't always be a practical solution, though. It is the main living space of the house, so a minimal level of comfort is expected, and the thermostat rarely exceeds 70F as it is.

I'm wondering if hanging wet cotton fabric strips through the slats of the shelves would do it. One end of the strip in reservoir of water so that water wicks through the fabric, and the other end hanging freely amongst the foliage.
Wouldn't help allot for the stuff on the top shelf if it works at all, but the other 60% of the plants might benefit.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
What would be gained by raising the humidity? Sincerely wondering about that. My first year in I did humidity trays, ran a cool mister, and bought 2 hygrometers. My plants were fine. Last year I didn't bother with any of that and my plants were fine. This year I'm following the path of least resistance lol. They're outside in low humidity all summer, why should indoors be different?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What would be gained by raising the humidity? Sincerely wondering about that. My first year in I did humidity trays, ran a cool mister, and bought 2 hygrometers. My plants were fine. Last year I didn't bother with any of that and my plants were fine. This year I'm following the path of least resistance lol. They're outside in low humidity all summer, why should indoors be different?
I have several that are still recovering from my occasional mismanagement over the summer, and cuttings that I can't easily dome over because of packed shelves. There are also my ginger and turmeric that simply do much better in higher humidity.
I did do just fine last year with no special treatment, but I have more and different trees and plants this year, and, well, this is my thread for crackpot unnecessary yet entertaining endeavors. Might as well occupy myself for the winter.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have several that are still recovering from my occasional mismanagement over the summer, and cuttings that I can't easily dome over because of packed shelves. There are also my ginger and turmeric that simply do much better in higher humidity.
I did do just fine last year with no special treatment, but I have more and different trees and plants this year, and, well, this is my thread for crackpot unnecessary yet entertaining endeavors. Might as well occupy myself for the winter.
Ah, yes. I do pursue plenty of unnecessary yet entertaining endeavors to get me through the long winter. Carry on lol.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've actually noticed this recently. I turn the heater down at night while sleeping under blankets to save on the heating bill. Got up this morning and the hygrometer was resting about 40%.
This won't always be a practical solution, though. It is the main living space of the house, so a minimal level of comfort is expected, and the thermostat rarely exceeds 70F as it is.

I'm wondering if hanging wet cotton fabric strips through the slats of the shelves would do it. One end of the strip in reservoir of water so that water wicks through the fabric, and the other end hanging freely amongst the foliage.
Wouldn't help allot for the stuff on the top shelf if it works at all, but the other 60% of the plants might benefit.
Are you able to enclose it? That's the best way I'd think. Shower with the door open, and cook spaghetti for lunch and dinner? I use humidity trays on the tropicals in a small room with lights, and it's 78F with 50-60% humidity. The lights provide enough heat to dry out the trays in a day or two. Bowls of warm water might help. Sorry to hear you ran into hard times, but like a strong stump you are going to rise again. :)

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you able to enclose it? That's the best way I'd think. Shower with the door open, and cook spaghetti for lunch and dinner? I use humidity trays on the tropicals in a small room with lights, and it's 78F with 50-60% humidity. The lights provide enough heat to dry out the trays in a day or two. Bowls of warm water might help. Sorry to hear you ran into hard times, but like a strong stump you are going to rise again. :)
Thanks for the vote of confidence.🙂

I'd rather not enclose them. Now that the other half of my trees are dormant, having these to look at and play with is what keeps me going.
I don't have quite enough light for that, just supplemental to being in a big window, which faces north. I'll be adding 1 or 2 little grow bulbs I'm sure, but still not enough to produce significant heat. I've already turned most of the drip trays into humidity trays, but that hasn't gone very far.
Otherwise, check and, well there's only one of me half the time, sooo...

There is a heater vent right in the middle of everything that I've built a wooden deflector over. Maybe a water reservoir of some sort to sit on it?
Could get super over complicated and combine the wet fabric idea with that little water pump.

I'll see about some pics of the whole setup so far in the morning.

Top Bottom