Shall I throw it away?

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I am in a predicament: I let trhis Cotoneaster horizontalis grow by itself for 15 years or so.

I planned to get 4 out of one by layering three branches and keeping the base.

My question is : it has no money value, it is not even a tree, so is it worth persevering?

March 2008 :

cotoH05_080323a.jpg

May 2009 :

cotoH05_090522a.jpg

September 2009 :

cotoH05_090905m.jpg

I didn't buy it, I raised it.

Should I throw it away and buy something decent? (a $500 yamadori juniper or sthg)

Or should I be patient a couple more years and give it to someone who is into bonsai, not instant glamour?...

When I read some of the threads in this (Usonian) forum, I wonder, I wonder...

I must be stupid.

Yes: I think different.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Just for the base of this tree it is a keeper. Now what you do with it after that is up to you...
Irene

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Keep it you're under 25, otherwise throw in the dumpster.

keep it green,
Harry

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
hardy har har.... to your "other thread" comments

and btw the word usonian ... is a made up word by Frank Lloyd Wright which comes from Usonia meaning "United States of North America" which is what he proposed we renamed the United States of America to be.. and Usonians would be the people who lived there in his Usonian homes. I believe the word you were looking for was Utopian?

As for the tree.... It's a good piece of material to start with... and it only took you half my lifetime to get started on it....

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
... the word "usonian" is a made-up word by Frank Lloyd Wright which comes from Usonia meaning "United States of North America" which is what he proposed we renamed the United States of America to be.. and Usonians would be the people who lived there in his Usonian homes...

Spanish has a very useful word, estadounidense. It means a citizen of the United States, and in spite of it's length, it's easy to say.

I'm glad it's available when talking to Hispanics, because it is true that ours is not the only country in the Americas. I know most of us don't intend to, but we sometimes come across as arrogant when we claim for ourselves the term "Americans."

Just wish there were an equivalent term in English. But there isn't, and for better or worse, most people, when they hear the term "American," do think of the United States.

Top Bottom