Share Your MAPLE LITERATIS

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sergio, I don't have any maple literati (or any really, for that matter) so no pics to contribute. But I do have a whole bunch of Japanese and trident maple seedlings I've been wondering what to do with...you've given me an idea for next spring! How tall is yours...looks really nice in any case.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sergio, I don't have any maple literati (or any really, for that matter) so no pics to contribute. But I do have a whole bunch of Japanese and trident maple seedlings I've been wondering what to do with...you've given me an idea for next spring! How tall is yours...looks really nice in any case.

Chris, that's how this one got started. I had a bunch of seedlings laying around which I use for grafts and such. This tree had a nice natural lean and kink in the trunk and thought to turn it into a simple literati. It's 20" tall from soil level. Basic and inexpensive material in which something nice can be created within a short time frame. My next one is a literati forest.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread - I’ve always been in love with the idea of maple literati without necessarily ever having seen one. The trees in the Kyoto moss gardens seem to be modeling for them. The challenge is maybe to make it a literati that still looks like a maple.

D

Deleted member 21616

Thanks for this thread - I’ve always been in love with the idea of maple literati without necessarily ever having seen one. The trees in the Kyoto moss gardens seem to be modeling for them. The challenge is maybe to make it a literati that still looks like a maple.

Yes!!

Picked up a bunch of seiryu maples this summer, 3 for landscape, and 3 for literati bonsai, both trios driven by this image.

group literati is super interesting to me

@MACH5 a forest literati is something else - i can’t even visualize what that means! Unless you were kidding?

Attachments

• 4AFAF4C4-DC10-4C71-B7A6-A022D15FF577.jpeg
    4AFAF4C4-DC10-4C71-B7A6-A022D15FF577.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 426

Rodrigo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Sergio beautiful maple! Can't wait to see what you will do with it in the next years.

You mention that this is in its forth year of development, could you please expand a little into what work you mind of work was done each year?

Thank you!

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
I collected a few vine maples this spring that I’m really looking forward to developing as literati. I think the species’ natural tendencies lend itself really well to the style, and I’m looking forward to going hunting for more with this in mind.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes!!

Picked up a bunch of seiryu maples this summer, 3 for landscape, and 3 for literati bonsai, both trios driven by this image.

group literati is super interesting to me

@MACH5 a forest literati is something else - i can’t even visualize what that means! Unless you were kidding?

Derek not sure but perhaps something like this?

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sergio beautiful maple! Can't wait to see what you will do with it in the next years.

You mention that this is in its forth year of development, could you please expand a little into what work you mind of work was done each year?

Thank you!

Rodrigo below is a quick snap shot of what I did:

First year: Select seedling with already a naturally interesting trunk line. If not wire trunk to shape. Let it grow.
Second year: Select branches for the intended design and cut off all else. Wire branches to shape.
Third year: Continue to develop branches. Cut back when new growth hardens to promote back budding. Also you can defoliate the tree as I did in this case. Manage the apex carefully and any strong growth to avoid overly thick branches that will spoil the delicate design particularly as you go up the trunk.
Fourth year: Continue refinement of branches. Promote fine twigging and prune all strong growth on a timely basis. Next year I will repot this tree and take a careful look at the nebari. I have avoided excessive fertilizing to minimize strong growth. Bunjin need to have delicacy and simplicity of design.

Note: Try and avoid trunk scarring as this will be very distracting in this style.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Owen Reich had a really beautiful one at the National Exhibition in 2014. I have this image on my computer - I didn't take it and unfortunately I don't remember where I got it. Maybe Owen can provide a better photo and some info about his design. It was one of my favorites from that show.

owen_reich_maple_national1.jpg

Last edited:

Michaelb

Sapling
Reaction score
@Owen Reich had a really beautiful one at the National Exhibition in 2014. I have this image on my computer - I didn't take it and unfortunately I don't remember where I got it. Maybe Owen can provide a better photo and some info about his design. It was one of my favorites from that show.

View attachment 219849
Really like this tree! Normally I don' t like literaty..but this one speaks to me. Nice pot too

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Really like this tree! Normally I don' t like literaty..but this one speaks to me. Nice pot too
I think the pot is a key part of the image, it gives such a feeling of space. Very evocative. Just want to go sit under that tree on a hot summer day.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is an acer rubrum that I like to think of as a twin trunk literati. I planted 2 seedlings as close as I could a couple years ago. It's got a ways to go, especially the smaller tree, but I like it. It might get a smaller, shallower pot next year.

2018-12-10 12.35.28.jpg
IMGP0338.JPG

I messed up and let wire bite in on the trunks, but I think the scars will be gone in a another 2 or 3 years.

Top Bottom