Share your tree thread

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi All, long time lurker, seldom poster. This is one of my earlier ones, a Boxwood (forget what type). I have had it for 4 years now, I think, in its second pot. I cruise the big box stores and grab anything that has an interesting trunk. This one did, so I snipped everything that wasn't interesting, and kept the rest.

View attachment 265953

Oddly enough, I pulled four boxwood bushes 5' in diameter from this same location because they all had blight. This one is perfectly healthy.
Try and post more often.
A nice healthy tree is always fun to see.
What plans do you have for it’s future?

khundley

Seedling
Reaction score
Try and post more often.
A nice healthy tree is always fun to see.
What plans do you have for it’s future?
Thx for the encouragement...not sure for the future, I like it the way it is. It outgrew its last pot without any real modification, and I think it'll do so on this one. If anything, I think I need to improve the roots, they currently act somewhat like buttresses, not the wide fat bases liked so much in bonsai. I just haven't wanted to let it grow wild yet, as so many of my others are in much less of a display condition.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Love that you are attempting lodgepole and looking forward to the journey!

Thanks for the kind words! One of my goals next year is to take the ferry up and come see your nursery and those great alpine trees there. Here is an updated pic of the Lodgepole today in its temporary pot. Note the only root this tree has in the upper left. Also the deadwood at the base is rotting, I cleaned out the start of a hollow there.
AF13CFA4-0B03-4D55-AD88-D0C8A0470E0F.jpeg

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the kind words! One of my goals next year is to take the ferry up and come see your nursery and those great alpine trees there. Here is an updated pic of the Lodgepole today in its temporary pot. Note the only root this tree has in the upper left. Also the deadwood at the base is rotting, I cleaned out the start of a hollow there.
View attachment 265987
Consider some wood preservative when you have time. If you pick one that dries clear without a shine that is a better choice. The humidity in the PNW can be a challenge.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It occurs to me that I didn't talk about a tree.

A friend of mine that grows a lot of material in the ground wanted to try his hand at growing twisted junipers. He soon found out that it's not quite as easy as it seems. He grew about ten of them. He kept one, sold off the others and decided to give to me the worst one. He said "just see what you can do with it, I thinks it's hopeless". It may be this is what I have done so far. The tree was given to me in the winter of 2015. I started to work on it in the spring of 2016.This is how it looked in 2015.

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

The tree is procumbens juniper and is rather coarse. It may be full size, procumbens and not nana. The trunk had a terrible reverse taper due to the first twist of wire and the trunk escaping above the wire. The first twist of wire almost needs to be below ground level to keep from having the tiny waist in the trunk at the soil line. In the last photo above is the front of the tree I chose due to the reverse being the least in this view. Not perfect but doable. I also decided that the trunk was never going to work as two trunks, in which the trunk bulked equally after the wire started to bite in.

The first styling of the tree was in spring of 2016 after root trimming and getting into a first pot. The root ball was very manageable and easy to fit into the bonsai pot. Steve shovel prunes the roots every other year. He had said these were in the field for three years. The entire right trunk was jinned and stripped of bark and lime sulphur applied.

006.JPG

In the Fall of 2016 it looked like this. The dead wood has now bleached out and not so noticable.

013.JPG

The tree grew on it's own for the next year as I was busy with my failing wife and no work was done in 2017.

In the spring of 2018, I decided to work on the tree and put it into a much better pot. This pot by Toshu. The tree had grown alot since the repot and was essentially a bush now.
015.JPG

016.JPG

During the spring of 2018. The tree was pruned and allowed to grow and fill in. By Dec. of 2018 it was starting to look pretty good.

019.JPG

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today I pruned foliage to outline and applied some wire above where I left shoots to grow. Now they had grown enough to see wire and placement. The process will continue to unfold in the coming years. It may become good enough to earn a place on a shohin box display.
DSC_0001.JPG

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
After a study on the desktop of the tree, I am pondering removing the bottom branch in an effort to clean up the subject.

What would you do?

View attachment 266059

View attachment 266060View attachment 266059
The tiny waist has disappeared.
I had to go back and look at what point it was no longer a focal point. Pretty much right away. When you show it with the bleached deadwood it is hardy noticeable- or at least not a distraction.

Dragon60

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Given how Smoke's tree started out, either result is impressive. My vote is to remove the branch as I think it gives a more refined, finished look. And since I posted here, here is my contribution - what I believe is an azalea that I saved from a scrapheap about a year and a half ago. This is a before pic DSCN6915.jpg I recently did some work on it and will soon post that picture too (I have to take one but it's too dark outside right now).

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is currently my favorite tree. I bought it in July of last year because I wanted an elm but I had no idea what to do with it. I posted here and it got some hate but some folks suggested trying to air layer it.

View attachment 265817

After it defoliated and I was putting it away I really liked the clump out on the end. So, this March I air layered it.

View attachment 265818

The layer took a long time to root out so I'm waiting until spring to separate. In the meantime I tried Walter Pall's hedge pruning method on it and it exploded with growth afterward. I was quite happy with that. I have a pot ready to go and will separate in the spring as planned.

This is what it looks like one year later...

View attachment 265819

After potting it up I will continue to work on ramification and this is going to be a shohin.

Looking at the first pic I was thinking you have a lower layer at the other 2 split.
I'd consider it next.
And work the base after for a full 3fer!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
some more

I would like to see thicker branches on the bottoms getting thinner on the way up.
90% of them are upside down in this regard.

Sorce

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Looking at the first pic I was thinking you have a lower layer at the other 2 split.
I'd consider it next.
And work the base after for a full 3fer!

Sorce
Do you think so? i didn’t like the whole middle section. I had thought about taking a second layer but didn’t think it was worth it. i will reconsider. I don’t want to lose another year for working on the base but I think I know my mistakes now and another layer would go faster.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is one of the first trees, with when I decided to get serious about bonsai. Drove 2 hours to pick it up. It was cut back. The new leader was split so it could be rotated. Branches were pulled down and basic pads were created. Now in the process of getting it to fit in a better pot. 2012-2019

View attachment 265954

View attachment 265955

The left right image of this tree is spectacular.

@parhamr recently posted hemlock with the branches notched lived....I think that treatment would be beneficial to the nonsymmetrical symmetry this shouts.
Living branches straight down as the dead go up.

Sorce

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
After a study on the desktop of the tree, I am pondering removing the bottom branch in an effort to clean up the subject.

What would you do?

View attachment 266059

What if, instead, you removed the top section and pushed the design out to the left? Like something fell on the tree and killed the right and smashed the left and it had to fight back?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you think so? i didn’t like the whole middle section. I had thought about taking a second layer but didn’t think it was worth it. i will reconsider. I don’t want to lose another year for working on the base but I think I know my mistakes now and another layer would go faster.

The base has a quality good enough for me to want to get rid of that bulge where I'd make the second layer.

That base tree will be the best IMO, unless the roots have big hidden suckage. Heinz yo, best things come to those that wait!

Sorce

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have way better trees, but this nana is the most recent tree I fell back in love with (It was just refined a bit more yesterday). The story behind it is pretty funny. I wanted wiring practice, so I had my 3 year old son pick a random nana from a local nursery. I challenged myself to work with what I was given.

Before
DC545C7D-16DD-4037-8ECC-62A8DB0ED7A8.jpeg
The first styling, I only wired six branches and left it alone to fully wire later (I ran out of time).
6B82089A-022A-43D4-B78F-40E86495E002.jpegBEFDF731-E9B5-4A5B-B7FB-E57DC09176B9.jpegE71AC9E6-6FF9-480A-9953-3DA36B83D143.jpeg

Fin!
42A380DC-2227-4A36-96BD-A37C49593DD5.jpeg
For being a random nursery pic, I am happy with the way this one is shaping up!

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The base has a quality good enough for me to want to get rid of that bulge where I'd make the second layer.

That base tree will be the best IMO, unless the roots have big hidden suckage. Heinz yo, best things come to those that wait!

Sorce
Ok I follow. I thought by “second split” you meant at the end of the other trunk.

My first plan after layering off the top tree was to layer that bulge and make a twin trunk. But the. I thought that wouldn’t work because the trunks were too straight.

This tree does have its own thread. After I layer the top I’ll post pics of whats left and we can decide. :)

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Do you have a sketch of the future you could share? Or not. I think it would be good to have. To understand you don't want to make it a "broom".

I'd guy wire down what still moves, a little farther than final to allow for springback, the use the springback for movement and continue to fully wire smaller branches in the future. This is some ERC stock worth going the distance with.

Nice.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok I follow. I thought by “second split” you meant at the end of the other trunk.

My first plan after layering off the top tree was to layer that bulge and make a twin trunk. But the. I thought that wouldn’t work because the trunks were too straight.

This tree does have its own thread. After I layer the top I’ll post pics of whats left and we can decide. :)

Those trunks can be grown, with mindfulness to keep size seperation well, for years, then chop for movement. It's a great start.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a favourite just a new tree,pot combination . Hawthorn . 4 or 5 years ago about a year after collection
View attachment 265899View attachment 265901
It was in a cheap Chinese pot for a few years that the cold disintegrated last year .View attachment 265903 Repotted a couple of weeks ago .View attachment 265904today View attachment 265905hopefully this pot will last longer .

Love this. And I was so excited to see the pot shape in the end!

The tift that covers the bend and taper change, should be lifted to hide the straight bit above it.

Expose good, hide bad.

Sorce

Reactions: Sno
Top Bottom