Share your weather!

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Morning coffee walk...foolish idea.View attachment 415367

@berzerkules , @Eckhoffw ,.. how you doin’?

It's just been a weird one up here this winter. Like 40f above to -45f in a week, we got 3-4 feet of snow and a couple inches of rain in a few days then like 20mph winds. A lot of people lost power, They didn't get around to plowing the roads forever. Guess it wouldn't have made any difference since it was constantly snowing or raining and blowing snow all over the place for a week. It's almost nice now, hanging around 0f. We'll see how long that last though.

Screenshot (376).png

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It's just been a weird one up here this winter. Like 40f above to -45f in a week, we got 3-4 feet of snow and a couple inches of rain in a few days then like 20mph winds. A lot of people lost power, They didn't get around to plowing the roads forever. Guess it wouldn't have made any difference since it was constantly snowing or raining and blowing snow all over the place for a week. It's almost nice now, hanging around 0f. We'll see how long that last though.

View attachment 415566
I could never live in such a place, I would wither up and die. However, my son worked the salmon season there two seasons and loved it, but it was June-August.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I could never live in such a place, I would wither up and die. However, my son worked the salmon season there two seasons and loved it, but it was June-August.
It's miserable much of the year up here but the summers are so beautiful. It's perfect, the sun is always up and the hottest day we had last year was 88. Getting through a winter makes you appreciate the summers more.

The winters are beautiful too. I moved up here from AZ like 20+ years ago and can take the cold but the dark just drags on. I have to keep plants through the winter to keep my sanity.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you at least get lots of snow and sunshine when the sun is up?
How many hours of daylight do you get in winter? Or are you far enough north to get polar nights?
I'm about 200m/320km south of the arctic circle by road and 120m/200km straight line. I think we are just over 4 hours of "day light" now. Sun doesn't really come up, It makes an appearance on the horizon for a little while.

Here is some random time lapse video of winter solstice close to where I live. I'd suggest watching it at 2x speed it's pretty boring.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If one stays there, there's only one alternative...
How prominent are the Northern Lights in Summer?
The lights are always there, you just can't see them in the summer. Even in the winter it's hard to see them in town sometimes due to light pollution and ice fog.

We start getting nights dark enough around August and I've seen some good shows then.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
The lights are always there, you just can't see them in the summer. Even in the winter it's hard to see them in town sometimes due to light pollution and ice fog.
We start getting nights dark enough around August and I've seen some good shows then.
That’s magical. I’ve only seen the lights well once. It definitely moves you.

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone

That’s magical. I’ve only seen the lights well once. It definitely moves you.
I love seeing how people react to the lights that have never seen them.

I used to work as a core driller and had coworkers from all over the states and Canada. They would lose it if the lights came out, guys shutting the rig down and killing the lights for an hour or two to just lay there staring at the sky. Didn't even matter if it was a weak show, they still got to see them. Footage and bonus didn't matter if they got to see the lights. It was just funny seeing these huge driller dudes covered in filth laying there on the tundra like "it's so beautiful".

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So this website I found with longer term statistics is really cool.

From it I learn there are frost days (Days on which the air temperature at 7ft above the ground dips below freezing) and ice days, days during which this temperature does not rise over freezing, where am ice day is also a frost day. The way I see it, this give me the number of freeze-thaw cycles my pots experience, and might explain why in normal winters, akadama goes to mush here:

2022 4 frost | 0 ice = 4 cycles so far
2021 56 frost | 8 ice = 48 cycles
2020 29 frost | 0 ice = 29 cycles
2019 48 frost | 2 ice = 46 cycles
2018 60 frost | 7 ice = 53 cycles
2017 53 frost | 8 ice = 45 cycles

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Definitely life-altering.. whether a strong show or not..

We get A few good shows a year..

Here’s a couple photos (not mine!) From Door County

View attachment 415703

View attachment 415704

View attachment 415706

All taken (NOT BY ME) from the same-ish area.

:)
I saw them up there between Sheboygan and For du Lac somewhere.
I think Corning was the big employer there.
Anyway it was Summertime and we were camping. The display was merely black and white
really, or that's how it was perceived given the meteorological conditions.

Love that last shot:) Would make great album cover art.
There's a cool figure in the rock looking into the Aurora Borealis ...or is it emanating ?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
might explain why in normal winters, akadama goes to mush here:
Good point. Then I think about those here in North Carolina such as Adair who uses akadama,
and I'm sure they experience a lot of freeze thaw cycles throughout most Winters.
I certainly do and no doubt more than him, being in zone 6 here, and I phased out akadama 2 or 3 years ago.
However the reasoning I phased it out
was primarily due to a bad batch I got from a reputable bonsai vendor, one I love to visit and has a good reputation.
Weather vs longevity never crossed my mind though. Great observation/thought.

Top Bottom