Shari advice

sion

Seed
Reaction score
I would like to try the ‘Shari’ technique, for the first time.

However, I would like some advice, as I do not want to harm my trees.

The bark at base of the trunk of this cypress has naturally peeled away. I was thinking about the area from the base to the little knot and possibly carving into the trunk a bit.

Is the a suitable subject and area to try it on?
Should I wait a few weeks after repotting?
What would be the steps?

14E854A3-283F-43FE-924F-D85A473F5B6B.jpeg

C1D1762F-18B9-40C2-8FD0-293DAD99ACC0.jpeg

Last edited:

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would like to try the ‘Shari’ technique, for the first time.

However, I would like some advice, as I do not want to harm my trees.

The bark at base of the trunk of this cypress has naturally peeled away. I was thinking about the area from the base to the little knot and possibly carving into the trunk a bit.

Is the a suitable subject and area to try it on?
Should I wait a few weeks after repotting?
What would be the steps?

View attachment 300065

View attachment 300066
Your tree is weak ( limited foliage in poor condition) , potted in what appears to be primarily organic soil ( not freely draining), and has been wired.

Creating a shari at this time will certainly weaken the tree further. The repot appears to have been some of the outside edges reduced and possibly the bottom with the core of compacted soil left remaining. Then organic soil placed around the edges. Not sure if roots were cut off or teased out and soil worked in.
The best course of action at this time would be to see how well the tree recovers over the next year! It is best to work on healthy trees!

If you wish to create shari. The first step would be to determine if there are any naturally dead areas in the cambium already that could be enhanced.
Secondly, determine which areas are feeding key branches and be sure not to interfere with those lifelines.
Thirdly, understand which key roots are sustaining certain areas of the tree and ensure that those areas are not interfered with.
Fourthly, begin with narrow cuts and develop slowly over time so the tree has time to adjust.

And just as importantly, do not create shari until you have determined how it will fit into the overall design of the tree! Not near as effective if it is all on the side or back. In other words I think you have lots of time to plan and execute shari further on in the development of this juniper.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think this Forum Topic can up in New Posts.. anyone else?

Welcome to Crazy!

If posts don't show up in New Posts you tend to lose a big audience.

I don't think just because bark peeled away means that's a good place to make actual dw.

Since it seems whole still.
Better to make it higher where it won't rot.

Sorce

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Probably not what you want to hear, but you are probably a few years away from starting a shari, unless as Frank said, there are already some dead areas.

sion

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Indeed - I repotted last week, using organic soil (which is all I could get during lock-down). Maybe not the best idea!

Normally, I use a mix of John Innes No 2 and Akadma (in this same pot). The DIY stores just opened near here, so my priority is obviously to repot ... using the correct potting material.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the replies.

Indeed - I repotted last week, using organic soil (which is all I could get during lock-down). Maybe not the best idea!

Normally, I use a mix of John Innes No 2 and Akadma (in this same pot). The DIY stores just opened near here, so my priority is obviously to repot ... using the correct potting material.
If you do decide to repot again then only do so very carefully, damaging the roots no further, gently teasing out the soil and replacing with a free draining mix.
It helps to allow the soil to dry out a bit first, wet soil damages a lot of finer roots when it is pushed around. Use a wooden chopstick, will be less damaging then a metal root hook. You do not want to be pulling on the roots, just gently teasing them out or removing as much soil as possible. New soil mix can be gently worked between the roots with wooden chopstick. Also attempt to pour particles in cavities exposed so the roots are not in air pockets.
Good Luck. Junipers are tough so will likely do well with lots of rest and recovery.

Top Bottom