Shari Videos

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm still a beginner but would like to have a go at shari. Doesn't seem to be much on YouTube. Does anyone know where I could find a good "How to" video or guide? Any tips would be much appreciated as well.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
It's pretty straightforward:

Use chalk to trace out the edges of the shari - try and link it to a branch you're going to Jin or an existing deadwood feature already on the tree.

Use a razor sharp knife like a craft knife or scalpel to cut along both sides of the chalk lines you made. Press quite hard.

Using the tip of the scalpel carefully pick at the bottom of the lines you made. If you have cut deep enough both edges should lift up and start to peel. Very slowly peel the bark away. Stop if you feel resistance and recut the stubborn area. You don't want the bark to wander away from the lines you cut.

Do this technique during active growth, it'll be easier to peel. You can come back in later and pick out fibres and then peel small grooves using pliers.

It really is that simple. Good luck.

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
OK. Thi
It's pretty straightforward:

Use chalk to trace out the edges of the shari - try and link it to a branch you're going to Jin or an existing deadwood feature already on the tree.

Use a razor sharp knife like a craft knife or scalpel to cut along both sides of the chalk lines you made. Press quite hard.

Using the tip of the scalpel carefully pick at the bottom of the lines you made. If you have cut deep enough both edges should lift up and start to peel. Very slowly peel the bark away. Stop if you feel resistance and recut the stubborn area. You don't want the bark to wander away from the lines you cut.

Do this technique during active growth, it'll be easier to peel. You can come back in later and pick out fibres and then peel small grooves using pliers.

OK this sounds doable. Thank you.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can kill a tree doing it as previously taught.

You can kill a tree doing it a "new" way.

Just do it without killing the tree.

Know how that tree grows, and use the information to make it "natural".

Sorce

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I presumed you were talking about Juniper? Could you show us a picture of the tree in question?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What should I do to avoid killing it?

Learn your tree....and don't kill it!

IMO...the slower the better for health and final looks.

This is definitely not a one sitting ordeal.

So experiment and learn at the same time!

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I did this to a short, fat itoigawa juniper in one go- and with only one hand- a few weeks ago. Junipers are the perfect subject for this. My plan is to let the tree recover then rework the Shari next year and again as needed. One word of advice- keep the Shari from reaching soil level or your newly created deadwood at the tree base will rot. Have fun!
C2E3CF32-BF7D-4A3D-B45E-52748C5C10E4.jpegC2C1A740-4841-475E-9400-99BA377AF92A.jpeg5C21000D-7C3F-494D-A7B4-41AC2502A3D0.jpeg6553ABD5-A226-4BE6-8AEF-21A796645A7F.jpeg

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Let it be known; many techniques used in bonsai are not so easy as it seems. You need to know what species of tree and in many cases what variety of that species. Not all Junipers are created equal and the techniques used on a Juniperus Chinensis will kill a Juniperus Sabina, or Procumbens, or some of the native Junipers. Just because it is a Juniper does not mean you can treat it the same across the genus. If you have not found this information you have not looked hard enough. I have run accross it on Youtube but not in one place, you will have to do a lot of looking----I am not going to do your home work for you.

By the time you find this stuff out you may have matured enough in bonsai to be ready for this. You need to understand how the tree grows and that some of them have clockwise directional grain as they grow, and some have counter-clockwise growth as they grow. You need to work the wood according to the way it grew. As far as shari is concerned, understanding that this is work on the trunk, if you do not understand that some Junipers grow in general all over the place and others grow in segments related one to the other, these are reffered to a life lines, what you do may be a crap shoot if you manage to accidentally cut one of these. You could wind up with a lot of dead upper branches. Chinese Junipers grow and die from the outside in creating naturally the kind of dead wood you drool over. High desert Junipers die from the inside out and they create an entirely different element.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Let it be known; many techniques used in bonsai are not so easy as it seems. You need to know what species of tree and in many cases what variety of that species. Not all Junipers are created equal and the techniques used on a Juniperus Chinensis will kill a Juniperus Sabina, or Procumbens, or some of the native Junipers. Just because it is a Juniper does not mean you can treat it the same across the genus. If you have not found this information you have not looked hard enough. I have run accross it on Youtube but not in one place, you will have to do a lot of looking----I am not going to do your home work for you.

By the time you find this stuff out you may have matured enough in bonsai to be ready for this. You need to understand how the tree grows and that some of them have clockwise directional grain as they grow, and some have counter-clockwise growth as they grow. You need to work the wood according to the way it grew. As far as shari is concerned, understanding that this is work on the trunk, if you do not understand that some Junipers grow in general all over the place and others grow in segments related one to the other, these are reffered to a life lines, what you do may be a crap shoot if you manage to accidentally cut one of these. You could wind up with a lot of dead upper branches. Chinese Junipers grow and die from the outside in creating naturally the kind of dead wood you drool over. High desert Junipers die from the inside out and they create an entirely different element.
Lots of good info there @Vance Wood as I am also looking into learning these techniques. Thank you!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Go on Youtube and watch Ryan Neil and Bjorn Bjornholm's videos on Junipers, essentially the ones dealing with dead wood and bending large wood. Most of the information you are looking for can be encountered here.

Top Bottom