Sharing a Ponderosa in Development

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've spent a bit of time searching for Ponderosas being repotted and there are very few pictures of the rootballs. That said, those that I was able to find don't seem to show any visible mycorrhiza. I was expecting to see lots of white fungus holding the rootballs together, but that doesn't seem to be the case for these trees. (Walter's Ponderosa #6 seems to show the most, but it could be the soil particles used.)

Carry on.
My Ponderosa shows the same conditions as my JBP , JRP, and Shore Pine with respect to Microhyzzae present when repotting. As in lots present. I think it is correct to assume that the mix of components and particle size are the key factors. I use no supplements to promote beneficial bacteria, simply natural progression. When i repot trees for other parties in different mixes there are variations with very little microhyzae visibly present if the mix is too dry or too wet for example.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Jeramiah, beautiful tree. I just acquired one myself and am still unsure of what I should be doing this time of year for it.

What soil mix are you using for this tree?

What do you recommend I do now, if anything? Im just trying to get as much info as possible right now.

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Jeramiah, beautiful tree. I just acquired one myself and am still unsure of what I should be doing this time of year for it.

What soil mix are you using for this tree?

What do you recommend I do now, if anything? Im just trying to get as much info as possible right now.

How did I not see that you were asking questions? I hope you found your answers.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Great pondy 😎 needles are nice. Do you fertilize at all in spring/summer?

Love that pot, what type Is it?

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Great pondy 😎 needles are nice. Do you fertilize at all in spring/summer?

Love that pot, what type Is it?

During the initial development, I fertilized all growing season to increase the needle mass. I did this for 2 years. This gave me long needles and lots of back budding. I repotted spring 2019 and only fertilized after needles hardened off in late August or early September. I will only fertilize at that time from now on to keep needles short.

I am assuming you are talking about the grey pot. That is a stoneware pot from Thor Holvila. https://www.holvilabonsaipot.com/

The link to the progression of this tree is probably somewhere in this thread but here it is again if anyone is interested.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Like the new pot. Looks much like rock and should fit tree well. Tree is looking great. As to needle harden off should be earlier unless Winter lasts until May. Here Ponderosa needles close to hardened now. Of 11 trees some are, a couple not quite so yet;). Have also had great success with back budding as you have.

Last edited:

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
During the initial development, I fertilized all growing season to increase the needle mass. I did this for 2 years. This gave me long needles and lots of back budding. I repotted spring 2019 and only fertilized after needles hardened off in late August or early September. I will only fertilize at that time from now on to keep needles short.

I am assuming you are talking about the grey pot. That is a stoneware pot from Thor Holvila. https://www.holvilabonsaipot.com/

The link to the progression of this tree is probably somewhere in this thread but here it is again if anyone is interested.

Thanks man! I’m going to have to get me a Thor pot now.... 😁

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Nice Tree. I have 3 from Andy. So it is interesting to see your progression. Mine are progressing similarly. I'm new to Ponderosa's. Quickly becoming a favorite. Would like to see more recent shots of your tree.
Thanks for sharing .

Jeramiah

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4a
Lets try that again.

It has been a while since I have shared an update on this tree.
I was going to repot this Ponderosa Pine into a Thor pot. I did not repot it this year. I wanted to wait until next year for the health of the tree.

May 2021

May-2-2021.jpg

June 2021

June-29-2021-1.jpg

Top Bottom