Sharing my automatic watering system

jevanlewis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There are several good threads on this topic already, which helped inform my eventual solution. Because of a vacation this summer, I am asking a friend to water my trees. However, as a backup, I wanted to have an automatic watering system. All my trees are pre-bonsai: 4 are in Anderson Flats; 6 are in 10" colanders, each of which is in an Anderson Flat full of pure lava rock (acting as a sort of grow bed); and 2 are in small rectangular bonsai training pots.

High-level solution
My landscape irrigation system has a zone that covers the flower beds where my bonsai are. So, my plan was to build a system directly off the line that feeds one of the sprinkler heads; for emitters, I decided to use spot spitters. I built the system on the ground since my trees aren't currently on a bench.

Detailed solution
System components (in order of flow of water; doesn't include pipe converters, elbows, etc.):
1) Polyethylene tube (2") <-- previously fed a single sprinkler head
2) Shut off value
3) Pressure regulator (25 psi) + filter
5) Polyethylene tube (3")
4) Air vent and vacuum relief valve
6) Polyethylene tube (3")
7) Spaghetti tubing (1/8")
8) Spot spitters

For each Anderson Flat, I used two of the tall dark green (downward facing) spitters; I needed two per pot to ensure full coverage of the soil. I used the longer spitters because the shorter spitters didn't go deep enough in the soil to stay firmly in place, since the outer edges of the pots are pure medium (i.e., no roots) consisting of pumice and lava, which is very loose.

Results and learnings
The system distributes water to all sections of each bonsai pot in less than 5 mins. I like the precision the system provides; however, I also like the simplicity and resilience of a system like @Brian Van Fleet (link). Specifically, he can pretty much move and arrange his trees anywhere under the spray pattern without needing to reconfigure spaghetti tubing and emitters. Also, my system is much more susceptible to risk from things like emitters getting dislodged by wind, people or animals. Regardless, my system should serve as a great backup solution for vacations or when I'm in the office and my family members aren't available to water for me. I'll probably put up a security camera to provide visual confirmation that it is working.

Photos
Full system system
00.jpg

2" poly tube feeder line and valve box
01.jpg

Valve box with shutoff valve and pressure regulator/filter combo
02.jpg

Air vent and vacuum relief valve
03.jpg

Poly tube, spaghetti tube, and spitters
04.jpg

System in operation
05.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There are several good threads on this topic already, which helped inform my eventual solution. Because of a vacation this summer, I am asking a friend to water my trees. However, as a backup, I wanted to have an automatic watering system. All my trees are pre-bonsai: 4 are in Anderson Flats; 6 are in 10" colanders, each of which is in an Anderson Flat full of pure lava rock (acting as a sort of grow bed); and 2 are in small rectangular bonsai training pots.

High-level solution
My landscape irrigation system has a zone that covers the flower beds where my bonsai are. So, my plan was to build a system directly off the line that feeds one of the sprinkler heads; for emitters, I decided to use spot spitters. I built the system on the ground since my trees aren't currently on a bench.

Detailed solution
System components (in order of flow of water; doesn't include pipe converters, elbows, etc.):
1) Polyethylene tube (2") <-- previously fed a single sprinkler head
2) Shut off value
3) Pressure regulator (25 psi) + filter
5) Polyethylene tube (3")
4) Air vent and vacuum relief valve
6) Polyethylene tube (3")
7) Spaghetti tubing (1/8")
8) Spot spitters

For each Anderson Flat, I used two of the tall dark green (downward facing) spitters; I needed two per pot to ensure full coverage of the soil. I used the longer spitters because the shorter spitters didn't go deep enough in the soil to stay firmly in place, since the outer edges of the pots are pure medium (i.e., no roots) consisting of pumice and lava, which is very loose.

Results and learnings
The system distributes water to all sections of each bonsai pot in less than 5 mins. I like the precision the system provides; however, I also like the simplicity and resilience of a system like @Brian Van Fleet (link). Specifically, he can pretty much move and arrange his trees anywhere under the spray pattern without needing to reconfigure spaghetti tubing and emitters. Also, my system is much more susceptible to risk from things like emitters getting dislodged by wind, people or animals. Regardless, my system should serve as a great backup solution for vacations or when I'm in the office and my family members aren't available to water for me. I'll probably put up a security camera to provide visual confirmation that it is working.

Photos
Full system system
View attachment 444092

2" poly tube feeder line and valve box
View attachment 444087

Valve box with shutoff valve and pressure regulator/filter combo
View attachment 444088

Air vent and vacuum relief valve
View attachment 444089

Poly tube, spaghetti tube, and spitters
View attachment 444094

System in operation
View attachment 444095
Very nice! Adding this to my to do list on my "one of these days" list.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh yeah, I would like to have the skills to make it.....I guess I will remain a no-holidays man 🤣
Seriously, each of my trees has different water needs, and at the end I have no confidence in technology to feel when and how watering must be done...

jevanlewis

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh yeah, I would like to have the skills to make it.....I guess I will remain a no-holidays man 🤣
Seriously, each of my trees has different water needs, and at the end I have no confidence in technology to feel when and how watering must be done...

Good points. Nothing beats direct observation of the soil moisture and careful watering by hand.

In terms of water needs variety, luckily my watering needs are pretty uniform since I only have pines (except for one random Engelmann Spruce I dug up during a camping trip. I guess that tree is going to be on the pine watering regimen whether it likes it or not!).

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I don’t yet have a fancy system. I move all my tree under a sprinkler and set up a timer then away I travel.
BFA5EFAE-919F-44B4-BEB9-93557CC87BE4.jpeg

waydeo

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sprinkler and water hose time works.
Cajunrider, is that silver drum a washing machine drum ?

Top Bottom