Sharing the progression on my Purple Leaf Sand Cherry

BenBSeattle

Sapling
Reaction score
I picked up this clearance rack tree (Purple Leaf Sand Cherry) on 5/3/2019. I made a video on it's development and finalized the video (not the tree) on 5/3/2022
It's a COVID baby. Hope you enjoy.

Thanos2727

Seed
Reaction score
Very cool video, I've always wanted to do one of those. You've inspired me.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Love this kind of progressions, shows the new people in bonsai that you dont need to buy expensive trees, can start with that kind of humble cheap material and get something beautiful in almost no time if you learn the basic techniques and growing skills

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome tree, good job with the design!

I have a few I've been working on for a few years also. Love them, unfortunately the bugs do too... so easy to grow though.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I tried those a few times and had every bug, fungus, mold, etc known to plants.....

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I tried those a few times and had every bug, fungus, mold, etc known to plants.....
After they flower, which is thankfully in early spring, I give mine a dose of 3 in 1 rose and flower care. The major threat for me with them is Japanese beetles and so far it has helped without harming any pollinators that I would want to visit.

Reaction score
Cool. I like tropicals though as you can bring them indoors in winter.

i live in a zone that isn't friendly to plants come sempember.

Attachments

• processed-794AF878-157A-4A70-829B-E482F377848C-809E622C-7F09-4107-9137-5752D00D79AA.jpeg.jpeg
    processed-794AF878-157A-4A70-829B-E482F377848C-809E622C-7F09-4107-9137-5752D00D79AA.jpeg.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 14

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I currently have an apricot, a sand cherry, and a flowering almond in various states of development. Beginning with the apricot, I have had teachers and others advise that I’m crazy for trying to work with ‘stone fruit’ species, because of our Wisconsin heat and humidity. I am now treating my apricot for the fourth time.
What I have recently learned about Coryneum [shothole] is that dormant spores reside in the crevices between buds and branches. The biggest single thing that one can do to prevent Infection is to avoid foliar watering, as this activates the dormant spores. In retrospect the apricot occupied a space next to a pillar on my porch, and it could sometimes be dry even when we got heavy rain because the overhang kept the rain off. It wasn’t until I started drenching the canopy that the problems appeared.
‘There’s an old German proverb to the effect that “We grow too soon old, and too late smart.”

Top Bottom