Sharp’s Pygmy pushing new growth

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
1-22-2022 update:
Following Bjorn’s strategy, today the tree was pruned and branches wired/guy-wired down. Pruning here essentially means removal of thick, straight and unsightly branches mostly from the top. I did not remove any thick branches at the bottom of the tree to improve taper. The bottom most one is a sacrifice. Will do cut back and pruning in the spring (may/June) after foliage is set. I also wired up the leader and will grow this out unimpeded.505FC665-DA74-4516-90C4-49CD2419CE09.jpegB4ED9E14-A690-49B5-BA95-D03350B7BF80.jpeg

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Great looking tree. If it were mine I would have cut the branches back even further as the general outline of the tree is pretty wide and there are long sections of primary branches with little taper.
Tree has a great primary structure and trunk 👍🏻

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Great looking tree. If it were mine I would have cut the branches back even further as the general outline of the tree is pretty wide and there are long sections of primary branches with little taper.
Tree has a great primary structure and trunk 👍🏻
Thank you. Yeah, I 100% agree with this assessment. I used the long straight branches as anchors for guy-wiring, which was needed to move several of the thick branches downward. Once the branches are set, say in May, I will cut back. I might even wait till the next season to do the heavy pruning.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Feb 3 update:

Cut back. Not too heavy, want to make sure branches live. So cut back to where there’s a bud or a primary. Will cut back even more in summer.

6336EA5E-9638-44F3-A1DD-959D2351CCE5.jpeg

dliu-73

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, I wonder if your Sharp's Pigmy is on its own roots or grafted ? I am not sure by your photos. Thanks.

Hbhaska

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It’s grafted but it’s pretty low and well done so you can’t see the junction. I intend to ground layer to create a better nebari.

Top Bottom