Sharp's Pygmy Help/Ideas

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This is one of my "better" trees, a pygmy maple. It was repotted into bonsai soil in early spring and is doing nicely. I will probably just let him grow out for a while, but wanted to get thoughts on how I should proceed with the tree. Looks like it already has a basic form I could work with, but I keep thinking about eventually layering off the main trunk for movement and growing the lower branch as the new leader. I'm a lot more gun-shy with this tree than my big box trees and other experiments!

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And the pic

Attachments

• pygmy.jpg
    pygmy.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 94

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
That main trunk is pretty darn straight. I think I’d use it to air layer from. I documented the process on my Sharp’s in a former post.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd stop being squeamish and Cut the trunk off at the first low branch. The straight trunk is mostly worthless if you air layer it. You'd simply produce more beanpole straight taper-less trunks that would also have limited possibilities. The air layer isn't worth the effort unless you've got a decade to put it in the ground and induce some taper and interest into it. It may take more time than that since this is a slow growing dwarf (if it's Sharp's Pygmy) that isn't all that apically dominant.

dbonsaiw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd stop being squeamish and Cut the trunk off at the first low branch.
I typically am quite impetuous and that has led to mangled trees. The guidance is much appreciated. Should I chop it off now or use it to thicken the rest up?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I typically am quite impetuous and that has led to mangled trees. The guidance is much appreciated. Should I chop it off now or use it to thicken the rest up?
It's up to you. You want a thicker trunk? Let it grow. If it's OK for you, chop off the top now.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Concur.

The issue with Sharp’s Pygmy is they tend to grow out these thick, chopstick like, trunks and closely spaced branches that caliber out fast.… but not evenly across the tree. .

I’ve tried working with a couple. Here is the latest effort, which I’ve just started on In the last couple seasons. Note the big barrel on the shortened branch on the right that will soon be history. The closely spaced branches… a strength , yet technical challenge. The long stretch on top with no branches…. Also definitely be an air layer project at some point.

image.jpg

The beauty in a Sharp’s seems to me to be in its ability to take a hedge pruning in the landscape and look good. This is indicative of the Witches broom origin of the tree.

cheers
DSD sends

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Are you sure about the cultivar? Doesn't look like a Sharp's pygmy to me, which has incredibly dense growth and bright green spring foliage.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
DSC01118.JPG

Sharps tend to be "greener" and a bit tighter growth......a lot will depend on sun exposure in my experience.

Top Bottom