Sharp's Pygmy

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
image.jpg image.jpg Looking for advice on this Sharp's Pygmy JM. I was thinking about air layering the main trunk since the first branches are so high up the trunk and it has no nebari right now but after talking with some here realize the tree may not survive it.

I also repotted and root pruned it this season and don't want to cause too much stress to the tree. Any styling ideas would also be appreciated. (or I can just scrap the idea of a bonsai and add it to my potted patio JM collection :) )

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    406.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Chad,

Two things immediately catch my eye: RxPyg.jpg
  1. There a an interesting triple trunk on the right (I've highlighted in in the oval).
  2. The rest of the tree is something I am all too familiar with - a trunk that is straight as an arrow.
So, being a rabid air layering enthusiast, I think I would be air layering the triple trunk now (leaving the rest of the tree to feed the roots) and begin pondering what to do with that fancy telephone pole that would remain, in some future year.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This might be a better plant for the patio honestly. Not interesting movement, looks like it is grafted (?)- though not a terribly ugly one...

I do like the triple trunk outlined above... Might make an interesting tree on its own.

Bunjeh

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Have you styled it yet? Even with the graft it has potential. Try wiring some of the branches downward.

bonsairxmd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have not done any styling yet. 0soyoung- do you think it can handle the air layer and root prune in the same season?

Anyone with any experience truck chopping these? Possibly below the fork. The graft is a decent one actually.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have not done any styling yet. 0soyoung- do you think it can handle the air layer and root prune in the same season?
It depends on how much you ravaged the roots.

What I suggest that you do is first observe the new canopy. If leafs open but then seem wilty and just don't really harden (a classic symptom of having overworked the roots) OR it just seems weak compared to your memories of it last year, do NOT layer it.

Else, not to worry; layer that puppy if you want.

Taking this route lets the tree tell you yes/no and doesn't really cost you any time because not much of anything will happen with the layer until after the foliage has hardened, anyway.

Top Bottom