shimp design

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Any constructive ideas for this tree, 1"3/4 trunk at the base, 15"tall.I want to eventually do away with the two large lower branches, makeing the f branch on the right the first branch of the future design, pics kinda suck, what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20131130_121403.jpg
    20131130_121403.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20131130_121219.jpg
    20131130_121219.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 1385841893414.jpg
    1385841893414.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 1385841957157.jpg
    1385841957157.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 58

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was thinking of adjusting the large branch in the rear n making it deadwood also

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
I can only speak as if this were my tree, which is not saying much as I know next to nothing, but, if this were my tree I would be looking to soften the curves in the trunk instead of strengthening them. Given the very very nice slight taper in this tree, I would be moving this towards a literati. The strong curves look very classicly man-made to me. Inasmuch as moving this to a literati, the only major bending would be the "cracking" of the apex to simulate heavy snow or something like that. I would be also be soften the curves like I said, something along the lines of this crude virt.
shimpdesign2.jpg

Attachments

• shimpdesign1.jpg
    shimpdesign1.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
First look at it I instant saw a tree I styled a while ago.. ;)

ntcjuni2.jpg

My advice is don't go for literati it's often the easiest way out. However a Literati is considered a piece of art with a good story and powerful harmonized movement. Really hard to make a convincible piece. But if you can, go for it.
I would use as much of the tree as possible,but cut the top part out because thats to far away from the rest of the foliage on the tree.
You can even train it some years to style it as a cascade in the future. (Train the rootball I mean to fit a cascade pot.)
Infinite possibilities here. nice material.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What if I rotated the tree to show less of the long slanted trunk, really don't want literate, could also shorten the tree.

Attachments

• 1385846047047.jpg
    1385846047047.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 23

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I usually go for the shortest possible design, especially with a trunk of this diameter, but I'm gonna try something taller with this one, hopefully, any masters out there, need help, thanks everyone for your input

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Angle change

Attachments

• 1385848244913.jpg
    1385848244913.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 19

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
First look at it I instant saw a tree I styled a while ago.. ;)

View attachment 45086

My advice is don't go for literati it's often the easiest way out. However a Literati is considered a piece of art with a good story and powerful harmonized movement. Really hard to make a convincible piece. But if you can, go for it.
I would use as much of the tree as possible,but cut the top part out because thats to far away from the rest of the foliage on the tree.
You can even train it some years to style it as a cascade in the future. (Train the rootball I mean to fit a cascade pot.)
Infinite possibilities here. nice material.

Hey ChrisV, first off, that is a beautiful photo, very well taken and good design for that tree imho. I'm curious about what you used to take that photo? Camera choice and settings used as well as light? I would love my photos to be of that quality and would like to hear what you do to get them like that?

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
I had a feeling it was an iphone, but I really almost could not tell, really good use of light, did you shop or touch up the photo at all? The iphone really does have a really great quality camera.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
I dont have an iphone, but this girl I hang out a lot uses an iphone when I ask her to take pictures for me.

Idk, but I feel, there is a weird distinction for almost every camera that is very specific to it. Idk how that happens but I notice something in the quality and depth and the colors that is almost like a fingerprint to every kind of camera. Or I could be making this up completely and this is all in my mind!

ChrisV

Shohin
Reaction score
Nope no tricks just the way of light use. Mine are taken indoors.
I asked how walter pall does it he makes nice clear pictures he does it outdoors.
Same way but better camera and he uses sunlight, one lamp on the side and some reflecting paper on the other side all aimed at the trunk and canopy.
Difference is he touches up the background with photoshop, but the idea is the same.
Sorry for being off topic don't want to hack this post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom