shimp group

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a 11 tree shimpaku forest or group,was started three seasons ago,was transfered to a pot this spring,it has also been changed somewhat from its original form,i hardly post stuff anymore and im taking vacation time from work so i figured this would be a good time to post.Sorry my pictures are not the best.This group still has a long way to go,and probalbly some changes but this is where im at now,hope you like it.Constructive critism apprecitated.

Attachments

• DSCN0258.jpg
    DSCN0258.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 359
  • DSCN0257.jpg
    DSCN0257.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 263

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I like it. A lot. The trees are varied and seem to be well arranged. Now you need to look for a slab or a very shallow pot. You can get a 20-inch mica oval pot that is ideal for groves like this one for very little money. Pottery will cost you but, of course, will be much better.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks,is there one place in particular that has good prices on ovals?Im not looking for exhibition type pots,since my trees are far far from that stage and my pocket book is not that deep,but something that would fit this group better,even mica for now.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Thanks,is there one place in particular that has good prices on ovals?Im not looking for exhibition type pots,since my trees are far far from that stage and my pocket book is not that deep,but something that would fit this group better,even mica for now.

Try www.bonsaimonk.com

I have a saikei in mine, but here's what you'd look for:

Attachments

• landscape 1a.jpg
    landscape 1a.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice,im hoping as the years pass my skill level will increase and so will the quality of my trees,for now im happy to keep them healthy,with gradual improvement.Ive never tried a saikei,yours is very cool.Thanks for the link.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nice to see you didn't start at the top and make all the branches get longer than the one above. as much as this thing is talked of, look at the typical trees along highway drives, and you will see a much longer branch over a shorter one, good start with this one Mike.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mike,

I like your effort a lot. Very nice start. While I agree with Bill somewhat I would still like to see more 'balance' on the lower right side. I'd like a tree leaning way out to the right. You might want to try using some rocks/boulders in your design.

You've got some great depth perspective going on here, very nice!

Tom

Last edited:

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here are a couple of better photos.

Attachments

• DSCN0261.jpg
    DSCN0261.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCN0262.jpg
    DSCN0262.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 140

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice, except for the tall, skinny tree in the back. It towers over the bigger trees and, for me at least, throws the perspective all out of whack. If I was you I'd have my eyes open for a more suitable replacement.
Paul

Reaction score
was kicking around some stuff in photoshop, and came up with mountain planting...

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
YOU ARE GOOD!!!

Rocks, big hilltop terrain. All it needs now is my 'falling' tree on the right. :D

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here are a couple of better photos.

Here are my thoughts with your group planting. I would separate out the largest diameter tree ( the one on the left) so that it stands apart from the rest ( would not plant it in the center, keep it to the side). I would then bring the smaller diameter trees closer together in a smaller grove ( apart and to the side of the largest diameter tree). I think this gives a better preception of a natural look - what you would see in nature. Just my opinion.

RogueFJ

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I really like what you've done here. I've been inspired. It reminds me of a scotch pine grove.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for all the input and kind words,i like your virt alot Stacy.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with Paul. I like it a lot but the one tall tree doesn't work for me. Great job though. Maybe a different tree in it's place eventually.
Good work,
Tona

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a very nice scene you created. I wonder if I am the only one that every time I look at this thread I see "Shrimp" instead of shimp!

ed

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If this was my grouping I would seriously consider a slab, either natural or man made from fondu. I like the idea of the stacked stones as well.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Vance,still have not made a decision,if i could find a nice slab,i just might do so.

Top Bottom