Shimp semi cascade

RichS

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just wanted to share a pic of my shimpaku semi cascade. I received this stock from a little nursery in Oregon. I've had it for about a year. And due to it's straight trunk and no real movement I just sat it in the back of the bench and just left it alone. Honestly I had no idea what i was goin to do with it. Well yesterday I had the opportunity to go visit choppy at his home and thought I'd see what he thought could be done. Its really great to know someone with some experience and knowledge in bonsai!! So after he looked it over he said we just had to get some movement in the trunk. So after some real thick wire and some man handling here's what we ended up with. Definitely a change Thanks choppy!

Attachments

• 20180709_120111.jpg
    20180709_120111.jpg
    602.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180708_131453.jpg
    20180708_131453.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 40

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wanted to share a pic of my shimpaku semi cascade. I received this stock from a little nursery in Oregon. I've had it for about a year. And due to it's straight trunk and no real movement I just sat it in the back of the bench and just left it alone. Honestly I had no idea what i was goin to do with it. Well yesterday I had the opportunity to go visit choppy at his home and thought I'd see what he thought could be done. Its really great to know someone with some experience and knowledge in bonsai!! So after he looked it over he said we just had to get some movement in the trunk. So after some real thick wire and some man handling here's what we ended up with. Definitely a change Thanks choppy!
Nice job getting that trunk bent over. Just need to shorten it up to be a semi, currently it is a full cascade.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's pretty amazing the difference working with someone hands on makes compared to just reading stuff online. I had my first individual workshop with a local artist this weekend and I learned a ton. Also very much upped my stoke level for the hobby.

RichS

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yea you definitely cannot compare to reading and watching videos to actually spending time with someone that's explaining the whys. Great learning experience and Choppy is a true artist. He dont just sit there and talk about it. He jumps on it and wrenches it this way and that bending and pulling and cutting. And I'm just like whoa. Never seen that coming. And this guys bonsai garden is just sick. It really makes you feel like your really seeing real art. His whole set up is the word of art. I highly recommend ANYONE that's new to bonsai to seek out a local club. I mean I did what most probably do and watched videos and read and researched and if course posted here asking for help. Which is great and all. But watching a real professional in person for the first time will really make you rethink your whole thought process.

Top Bottom