shimpaku and lime

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have been told by a few people that they add a little bit of agriculture lime to the top of the soil for their shimpaku junipers.

1) Is this something I should be doing?
2) How do you do this - sprinkle it on the soil?
3) What does it do for shimpaku?

Thanks,

Dave V.

daniel

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have been told by a few people that they add a little bit of agriculture lime to the top of the soil for their shimpaku junipers.

1) Is this something I should be doing?
2) How do you do this - sprinkle it on the soil?
3) What does it do for shimpaku?

Thanks,

Dave V.

Wow, that sounds like the opposite of what an evergreen would normally like (acidic soil). I'd be curious to hear an explanation of that thought.

Daniel

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I have never heard this. I agree that this sounds like a bad idea unless you live in an area with really acidic soil.

snobird

Mame
Reaction score
Most Junipers occur on more alkaline soils in the wild and these growers probably try to mimick these conditions. My advice is to stay away form the agricultural lime because you can easily overdo this. Next time when you repot you can rather add a little bit of wood ash to the soil to sweeten it because it is much safer.

kytombonsai

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have heard this from 2 or 3 members in our local club. (Bonsai Society of Greater Cincinnati) I have never tried it though. One member used to recommend it when she would put her trees away for the winter. Another very respected member with lots of experience has also recommended it. The next time I talk to him I will ask what the benefits are other than good color. Fish emulsion usually does this for me.

Tom

Top Bottom