Shimpaku - backbud?

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've read that Shimpakus will backbud on newer wood however, I don't understand what that means in regards to clearing out for new growth. Does this mean I can cutback as far as the red lines in the image below on thin inner growth and new shoots will come out of the side of the green marked stems that remain to form newer, fuller foliage?

Appreciate any input.

somegeek

Attachments

• shimpaku_backbud.jpg
    shimpaku_backbud.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 130

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Generally, yes. However you have to take into account the balance of strength of the rest of the tree. If you cut back one part of the tree, but leave the rest untrimmed, the tree will have a tendency to shift its strength to the untrimmed portions. When trying to force backbudding on junipers, it is important to view the tree as a whole, start when the tree is pushing the strongest growth of the season, make sure it is strong and healthy, etc. Otherwise if you just trim a single branch like you have highlighted, it may die back rather than bud.

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
HI Somegeek, It looks like heathy green foliage. However, it looks like you have scales ( a type of sap sucking insect) on your shimpaku. Those white little egg looking domes on the foliage ( the eggs of the insect are under these scales/ domes).

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the replies.

Noted regarding the scales. The tree this came off of was very compact and crowded. I've opened it up and removed some material(much more airflow). Hopefully this is breathing more so these scales won't reappear after I get some insecticidal soap on them.

somegeek

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Geek, as Nut and Dave have said, there is a method to this madness and you have to have a clear picture, total picture. A shot of the whole tree would help because you want buds where YOU want them and not just random buds. Where you cut and how much depends on several things; health and vigor, environmental conditions (sun) where is the tree within, time of year etc. Most all trees backbud to some degree, it's a survival mechanism that we have to exploit that's most advantageous for our purpose. As bonsaiest we should know what every bud,leaf or branch on the tree is doing and why. We should know what each will be in five or ten years. When everything goes perfect in bonsai it still takes a long time so it's important to do things that speed the process and not hinder.
Wood

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Geek, as Nut and Dave have said, there is a method to this madness and you have to have a clear picture, total picture. A shot of the whole tree would help because you want buds where YOU want them and not just random buds. Where you cut and how much depends on several things; health and vigor, environmental conditions (sun) where is the tree within, time of year etc. Most all trees backbud to some degree, it's a survival mechanism that we have to exploit that's most advantageous for our purpose. As bonsaiest we should know what every bud,leaf or branch on the tree is doing and why. We should know what each will be in five or ten years. When everything goes perfect in bonsai it still takes a long time so it's important to do things that speed the process and not hinder.
Wood

Thanks for this. I was trying to get an understanding of how well Shimpakus can backbud to understand what's possible with the material I have vs writing off branches because they won't backbud(like a hinoki?). I have a rough plan for this tree in particular.

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Geek, I don't mean to sound like a broken record (does anyone know what a record is) but where do you want it to backbud? Even Hinoki backbud, it's just a matter doing the right things at the right time.

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Geek, I don't mean to sound like a broken record (does anyone know what a record is) but where do you want it to backbud? Even Hinoki backbud, it's just a matter doing the right things at the right time.

Okay - so given the above pictured branch were still attached to the tree on the left side. Say I cut back the branch to the red lines noted below in the attachment. Would new shoots come out of the bases of the stubs attached to the branch? If I removed this younger branch all together leaving a 1/4" stub on the tree(no foliage - just a brown stump), would a shoot come out at the base of that stub on the trunk?

somegeek

Attachments

• shimpaku_backbud_whack.jpg
    shimpaku_backbud_whack.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 56

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Geek, I don't mean to sound evasive but giving yes or no answers would be irresponsible of me because there is no context and what we print is forever. However,to your point, it might or it might not.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello somegeek.. I know that it may be confusing here becasue there seems to be some different assessments here....

First, where you are designating in red. You should not cut these where you designated, these are just needles which will probably die if cut there. When you cut, you want to cut back to a joint or tuft of foliage. Normally, the needls you are showing are completely removed when the tree is cleaned up. When you cut, you should either cut the brown wood or back to the scale foliage joint.

Unfortunately, I do not have a shimpaku foliage close up pic.. However, here is an arbovitae which can demonstrate where you would cut, if it was a shimpaku... Notice I am cutting back to a joint.

Rob

Attachments

• pictures2%20026[2].jpg
    pictures2%20026[2].jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 78

somegeek

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hello somegeek.. I know that it may be confusing here becasue there seems to be some different assessments here....

First, where you are designating in red. You should not cut these where you designated, these are just needles which will probably die if cut there. When you cut, you want to cut back to a joint or tuft of foliage. Normally, the needls you are showing are completely removed when the tree is cleaned up. When you cut, you should either cut the brown wood or back to the scale foliage joint.

Unfortunately, I do not have a shimpaku foliage close up pic.. However, here is an arbovitae which can demonstrate where you would cut, if it was a shimpaku... Notice I am cutting back to a joint.

Rob

This sheds some light. Thanks for posting this! :)

somegeek

Top Bottom