Shimpaku bunjin

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
This was one of the first pre bonsai stock plants I ever purchased, probably more then 15 years ago. It was in a 3 gal pot and was very typical for the species with lots of similarly sized branches/sub trunks and no real main trunk to speak of. Of course, I tried to style it as an informal upright and kept all the branches:eek:... long, gangly branches almost as thick as the trunk wired out horizontally with no movement to speak of...thank heavens I wasn't photographing my trees then:). Anyway, this was back at the time when I didn't have a clue how to keep junipers healthy, so this one declined quickly and I placed it in the ground to keep it from expiring. Luckily, I remembered it before moving to GA, dug it, threw it back in a 3 gal pot and brought it down south. At this point, I actually had a clue as to the keys to juniper health, as well as a better eye for styling. It eventually got moved to a bonsai pot (first picture) to be styled as a windswept bunjin ala some of the awesome creations of Robert Stevens. Anyway, here it is today...not really windswept but that's ok. Please excuse the lime sulfur...I was a bit heavy handed with it when it was applied a week ago. It needs a smaller pot but the current Nick Lenz pot is good enough for now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nicely done. Thanks for the progression it is instructive.

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Cool tree Dave, nicely done! Great to have a history with a tree!

Jaberwky17

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Agree- cool tree

I agree with the others - it's a cool tree. Not sure if you are looking for suggestions but the fact that there is so much going on at the top, both jin and foliage made me think that some virt options might be in order. I think I like the idea of stripping this back to what Virt3 shows - just a single ball of foliage at the end of the main trunk/branch.

Good luck!

Attachments

• virt3.jpg
    virt3.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 162
  • virt2.jpg
    virt2.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 149
  • virt1.jpg
    virt1.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 159

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with the others - it's a cool tree. Not sure if you are looking for suggestions but the fact that there is so much going on at the top, both jin and foliage made me think that some virt options might be in order. I think I like the idea of stripping this back to what Virt3 shows - just a single ball of foliage at the end of the main trunk/branch.

Good luck!

Thanks for taking the time to create the virts. I've considered reducing the jins, but left them deliberately long (I always do) for now. I'm pretty sure they'll be shortened significantly in the future. As far as the foliage goes, there is less there then what appears to be in the picture. I'm going to try to keep the current shape of the canopy going forward, maybe get it to tighten up a smidge. As always, it can be edited down the line, too.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I think you have a little more to do. The heart of Bunjin bonsai is starkness and simplicity. There just too much going on in your tree now.

Attachments

• ujun.jpg
    ujun.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 120

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think you have a little more to do. The heart of Bunjin bonsai is starkness and simplicity. There just too much going on in your tree now.

Agreed. It will be further reduced over the next few seasons, but I hope to have more then one foliage pad...we shall see.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is one of the trees I've been preparing for a potential appearance at the Atlanta Bonsai Society spring show later this month. I just repotted it and like the match, though I wish I could have gotten it further to the right side of the pot, but the roots won't allow it this go round. If it makes the cut, it'll have the surface soil removed and moss applied in a week or two.

DSC_0100.1.jpg

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
Cool!

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
This is one of the trees I've been preparing for a potential appearance at the Atlanta Bonsai Society spring show later this month. I just repotted it and like the match, though I wish I could have gotten it further to the right side of the pot, but the roots won't allow it this go round. If it makes the cut, it'll have the surface soil removed and moss applied in a week or two.

View attachment 68401
Great pot! I to think a bit of the foliage can be reduced...maybe just the very top branch in this pic and then reduce the jin by 25%. JMHO :) Great tree and good luck!!!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Before you go cutting the top branch off the green part have a look. I came from a background that every tree has to have an apex. I also removed the inside jin pocket branch. I like the outside one though..

Just me screwin around in the rain....
DSC_0100_1.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Yeah, where I come from, apexes are important, too. Not having the tree in front of me, I'm going to guess that this is doable. Thanks again, I like it.

Top Bottom