Shimpaku Color

Bonsai_Steve

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have several shimpaku that have turned a silver green in color. They are much duller in color than they were ealier in the year. They get watered once a day and have morning sun until about 1 pm, then shade. It hase been very hot this year, but I don't know if that is part of the cause. Any suggestions as to why they have turned this dull green color?

Thanks
Steve

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It sounds like they could have spider mites. The color becomes dull grey-green. Have you been spraying with an insecticide on a regular basis?

Kirk

Bonsai_Steve

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
No I haven't but I will tree them now and see if this helps. Any sprays I should stay away from with Shimpaku?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You may have read this already, but a good test is to hold a sheet of paper under the foliage and knock the foliage around a bit. If anything that falls to the paper beneath is moving, most likely (as Kirk said) it's spider mites. They prefer dry, sunny foliage, so regular spraying with water may help, but I'd hit them with malathion every few days until their life-cycle is disrupted and they're gone.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Don't spray for mites until you know you have mites. Do the white paper test. Hold a paper under a branch and flick the branch hard with a finger. If TINY, yellow, red, or black crawly things fall on the paper and move around, you have mites.

A HARD spray of water into the foliage is all you need to do to rid yourself of mites.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I agree with everything said above, except I have found mites to be very persistant here in GA. Many of my junipers came down with mites last summer, though only a few demonstrated symptoms related to the mites. I have found that the hard water spray helps, but, at least here in GA, chemical insecticides are needed to break the life cycle as Brian mentioned. Also, I would suggest a dormant oil spray this winter as a preventative. As my teacher recently pointed out to me, coming out of winter "bug free" is the best way to avoid problems during the growing season. Good luck,

Bonsai_Steve

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yep. It is mites. I have checked all my junipers and little tiny spots crawling around on all of them, except for a few I have in a different part of the yard. Thanks all.

Mark59

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once you rid your trees of mites, do as jkl suggests and get into the habit of regularly giving the foliage a blast of water. I use a basic Home Depot seven patern nozzle and set it to the flat setting which sprays a hard fan shaped spray and hit the foliage from all sides vigorously! Don't forget from underneath. I do this every time the trees need watering. I never see mites on any of my junis and I've had them for eons!

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Dav4. Do you go to the Atlanta Bonsai Society meetings? I usually make it to Atlanta for the Saturday workshops . I will be at the annual picnic next month at the Monastery. It would be nice to meet you and Kirk in person.

Frank

Top Bottom