Shimpaku cuttings

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a pot with a few shimpaku cuttings that was given to me and I want to know when the best time to split them up into individual containers would be. I'm sure they are all rooted as I think they're more than a season old.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You have a month. Done by the end of Feb. is good. Deciduous has to be almost done now so junipers should go last since they can be repotted as late as March if needed.

I wouldn't do any pruning untill buds are moving. It is safe to nip at that time. Do it now and they may stall and not bud. Junipers that is.

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So I repotted all six of them about 2 weeks ago and a couple of them look pretty crappy. About 3 are starting to dry out at the lower foliage and turn brown. I have them all in my greenhouse now, but they don't seem to be getting a whole lot better. Any thoughts?

riprap

Sapling
Reaction score
For me, great drainage has always been the difference between success and failure with juniper cuttings.

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
They are in a very good draining mix. I guess I'll give it another week or so and see how they turn out.

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So far it looks like I'm definitely going to lose at least 1. There are 2 or 3 more that look really questionable as to whether they'll survive. I can't figure out what I may have done wrong.

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
They all had great roots. I did trim some just a bit, but only the really long scraggly roots.

Top Bottom