parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is how my fourth Shimpaku looked when acquired in May 2016. (My fence was in progress!)
IMG_9120.JPG

I paid $85 for it in a silent auction and felt good about what I paid. The trunk has a 2.25" diameter above a strong basal flare. I started pruning and found the tree was well overgrown, in sandy loam soil, and neglected inside the canopy. Since summer 2016 I have been trying my luck at rebuilding the tree.

Repotted today to remove the bad soil, change the planting angle, and prepare for bending in 2018 or 2019. It's now in 100% screened and washed pumice with a top dressing of sphagnum. This is what I think should be the front, as the canopy and first left branch lean in for a hug.
IMG_0790.JPG

I have the right branch marked for air layering. It is straight and without taper for about 6" and I'm not sure I'll have success moving it into a good location.

90° clockwise shows the main trunk can occlude the left branch. Bending might solve this, and there's already a shari on the inside of the likely curve.
IMG_0791.JPG

Here's the backside, showing the upper eagle claw branching that I need to resolve.
IMG_0793.JPG

I'm at least pleased with some of my detail wiring and the nebari:
IMG_0796.JPG

IMG_0797.JPG

Now I'm seeing why the former owner had neglected it and then sold it. This tree needs a lot of work and I think I can do it through a significant redesign.

Dimensions: 19" tall, 29" wide, and a 2.25" trunk

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice....

Bro....

Something about that long trunk left...

I just freaking dig it...

aviary-image-1490584188322.jpeg

I don't even like that triangle.
Especially if it hides that trunk...

But I don't think people are ready for 2 small triangles...too Penjing probly.

That shit is powerful to me.

And the roots are dope!

Sorce

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@sorce YES! I hadn't even thought of just the left branch. Thanks, man.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You said it
This is what I think should be the front, as the canopy and first left branch lean in for a hug.

And everything else has to go anyway!

I forget the character Adam Sandler did on SNL...

But in that voice....

Deletion!

Sorce

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Here's a sloppy sketch of the "good" parts massaged into a possible triangle canopy

View attachment 138450
I like this concept, use as many branches to create structure. My only suggestion would be to use raffia and give the trunks movement/direction, and Chase the foliage back more.

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Here is an example, sorry I can't draw, but your tree has a lot of possibility.

FB_IMG_1490698433843.jpg

Tree by Chris Pfeifle.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Whoops this thread has been sitting for a bit. I got advice at mentorship class in mid-2017 that I should keep the three trunks and resolve the awkward straight section by pulling it forward.

I left it untouched through late summer, 2018, and then did some heavy bending with raffia wraps, 4-gauge copper, and 12-gauge galvanized steel guy wires: (plus primary, secondary, and tertiary branch wiring)
B5719DEA-4233-4FFE-AACF-159FFCA65BC9.jpeg

It survived! It’s doing quite well, in fact:
8DE7D1DD-88F9-4024-8761-BDB3D78E7975.jpeg

Its runners are getting strong and I’m continuing to just let it soak up full sun 😎

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I made some moves today
7C5A2C28-F4E2-4F31-AF81-190BBCFEBA3C.jpeg

This was a chance to finally clear out the rest of the field soil it had back when I bought it. I also reduced a few of the chunkiest roots.

Next up is recovery. I might be able to do a big styling at the end of the summer, but one step at a time. Its canopy is starting to get quite dense and it may shade itself out soon.

Attachments

• 099C0097-F9A6-498D-93DB-D4C5DAF0CD5A.jpeg
    099C0097-F9A6-498D-93DB-D4C5DAF0CD5A.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 27

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sooner or later you need to do the fine wiring of the foliage pads. This was a tree with enough major architecture to do that in the first picture, and in every photo that followed. This has been a finish-able tree as is/was for four years.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very few things in this world excite me as much as unsolicited advice, but there’s an extra special cherry on top when it’s from a place of misunderstanding.

D70C9F86-4279-4F1B-A561-2B46BAFEEFC1.jpeg
1F5FCBDF-BAA1-409D-913E-963A54AD027B.jpeg

This tree has had several pounds of wire on it at various stages. I think the last time I unwired it the total work time was about 10 hours.

Yes, detailed wiring is always good and useful, but no, not right now. Nearly all the primary and secondary branching is positioned well. Most of the tertiary branching has been wired. What you can see forming the silhouette is the fourth and fifth level of branching. In due time the details will come.

Thanks for reading!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This tree has had several pounds of wire on it at various stages. I think the last time I unwired it the total work time was about 10 hours.
I still see a few pieces in those closeups.😜 Branching is coming along nicely. You’ll have plenty to work with when you get ready to refine it.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I still see a few pieces in those closeups.😜 Branching is coming along nicely. You’ll have plenty to work with when you get ready to refine it.
I thought you were pulling my leg

FUCKJNG HELL

lmao I even pulled off a few pieces during the repotting. Out to the bench I go…

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I made some moves today
View attachment 367545

This was a chance to finally clear out the rest of the field soil it had back when I bought it. I also reduced a few of the chunkiest roots.

Next up is recovery. I might be able to do a big styling at the end of the summer, but one step at a time. Its canopy is starting to get quite dense and it may shade itself out soon.
das beautiful man, those runners are insane, nebari rocks. Looks great in its new home too. Thanx for sharing!
You've done a lot of work on this, make sure the previous owner gets a face full of that :)

Top Bottom