Shimpaku first styling from nursery

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Was strolling around my local nursery 5 mins down the road when I found they had a few 1 gallon shimpaku junipers! For $30 I thought quite a steal. Here’s what I came up with. Any feedback helps. Any suggestions on the aftercare from this styling? Also how should I approach repotting next year?

Attachments

• C078FF3A-575C-4E78-9086-D028FA479A75.jpeg
    C078FF3A-575C-4E78-9086-D028FA479A75.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 121

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was strolling around my local nursery 5 mins down the road when I found they had a few 1 gallon shimpaku junipers! For $30 I thought quite a steal. Here’s what I came up with. Any feedback helps. Any suggestions on the aftercare from this styling? Also how should I approach repotting next year?
Not a bad first attempt, but I think you could go a bit further. Do you have larger scale wire? Raffia? If so, wrap that thing up a bit more and really compress and just let it grow for a full year. Not so much the fine branch but the primary trunks. Get movement now before it gets away from you in thickness.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Not a bad first attempt, but I think you could go a bit further. Do you have larger scale wire? Raffia? If so, wrap that thing up a bit more and really compress and just let it grow for a full year. Not so much the fine branch but the primary trunks. Get movement now before it gets away from you in thickness.
Much appreciated! Unfortunately I have neither, but do you think the second branch needs to come down lower? I could attempt to put in a second wire and be more gentle to attempt getting it lower, the tension was close to rip the wood, but perhaps with a second wire it can help

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Let's hope and pray it makes if first there. You did two major offenses in one year. You only want one offense per year.
Repot a tree? Wire next year.
Wire a tree? Repot or foliage reduction next year.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Doesn’t look like he repotted actually. This tree should recover just fine from the work.

I think your trying to get a finished silhouette now, but you should really just work on getting movement on those trunks and growing them out.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I didn’t repot, that’s why I mentioned repotting next year. Just leaving it do its thing now and grow with silhouette

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
With a tighter coil of wire it is easier to bend a branch and be sure to have the wire on the outside of a bend.
But also be carefull with wiring and bending during the growing season because the bark can slip of easiely when you bend a branch.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
With a tighter coil of wire it is easier to bend a branch and be sure to have the wire on the outside of a bend.
But also be carefull with wiring and bending during the growing season because the bark can slip of easiely when you bend a branch.
thanks, yes, i took note of the season we're in and tried not to push the envelope too much in regards to bark slipping, could've definitely done my wiring better hah.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Happy for your purchase and your patience and hope you are rewarded with a lovely bonsai some day. But quite bluntly, do you have a plan or you just waiting to see what develops? No criticism intended as I certainly don't have plans for all my pre-bonsai ......... not by a long shot.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Happy for your purchase and your patience and hope you are rewarded with a lovely bonsai some day. But quite bluntly, do you have a plan or you just waiting to see what develops? No criticism intended as I certainly don't have plans for all my pre-bonsai ......... not by a long shot.
sure, great question. this is "the tree within the tree" i found from the nursery stock. this is more of a creative and technical exercise tree more than anything. i want to use refining techniques on it and grow it out. for design wise, i guess for now, i have the primary branches/trunk laid out.
Before I purchase a $200+ juniper I want to have some practice with something in order to feel more comfortable with the more expensive material. Hope that makes some sense.

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So I was taking a look at this guy after work today, and I’m starting to think the back has a good option as well… and now I’m not sure which can be front/back. What do you guys think? Not gonna lie, the tree is nice to look at in 3D, hard to show it in pictures.

Attachments

• F9A04075-3514-4953-BE60-6A9B613108BF.jpeg
    F9A04075-3514-4953-BE60-6A9B613108BF.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 64

AnutterBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
So I was taking a look at this guy after work today, and I’m starting to think the back has a good option as well… and now I’m not sure which can be front/back. What do you guys think? Not gonna lie, the tree is nice to look at in 3D, hard to show it in pictures.
Also has a nice root at the bottom that can add some flair.

Top Bottom