Shimpaku, first styling, March 31, 2012

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
What a fantastic weekend I had attending the Bjorn Bjorholm Workshop hosted by the Alabama Bonsai Society. BVF has already posted about Bjorn's talent and let me just echo this. Bjorn is an amazing bonsai artist and has great teaching ability. Bjorn takes his time with those of us not as experienced and trying to learn. Thank you, Bjorn!!

I acquired my shimpaku a about six weeks ago with the assistance of BVF. I really liked this tree from the very beginning and thought it could be a special tree:

Bjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 035.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 034.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 032.jpg

I bought this tree especially for the Bjorn Bjorholm Workshopl and did nothing to my tree prior to the workshop.

I really liked the way Bjorn listened to what I saw in the tree and then guided me in seeing a better appraoch:

Bjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 044.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 045.jpg

And the results will have to be in a second post.

Last edited:

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Very nice material Ron, but where's the pic with it completely styled? ;)

Chris

Reaction score
I hate when I have to break out the wood glue as well to put those branches back on...
Only joking...

Looking forward to seeing finish photos as well.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Very nice material Ron, but where's the pic with it completely styled? ;)

Chris

Thanks for your comment. I agree it is good material.

I am not the most tech savvy person and did not think to Reply to my own thread and therefore messed up starting a second thread. Sorry for cluttering the board.

Here are some photos:

Shimpaku--Bjorn Bjorvala Workshop--03.31.12--#1.jpgShimpaku--Bjorn Bjorvala Workshop--03.31.12--#2.jpgShimpaku--Bjorn Bjorvala Workshop--03.31.12--#4.jpg

Here are two of the styled tree:

Shimpaku--Bjorn Bjorvala Workshop--03.31.12--#6.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 063.jpg

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I hate when I have to break out the wood glue as well to put those branches back on...
Only joking...

Looking forward to seeing finish photos as well.

Thanks, Stacy

My friend, Brian (BVF) asked me at least four times if I were okay as we chopped branch after branch. I guess I had a "concerned look" but I am totally pleased with the tree. Have you worked with Bjorn? If so, you know what a special talent he has; however, if not, grab the next opportunity to work with him.

A couple more photos of the tree:

Bjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 063.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 062.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 064.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 066.jpgBjorn Bjorvala Bonsai Workshop 067.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Nah...I was just bustin yer chops. The tree is going to be fine, and very nice as it develops.

Bjorn said later that he was impressed with your willingness to go for it, not everyone is as amenable to this type of work, but you ended up with a good tree as a result.

Bring it to the meeting next Monday for show & tell!

Top Bottom