Shimpaku For Twisting

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Inspired by the recent thread on Shimp twisting, and finding an abundance of every Juniper but Shimp at the local stores, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I will soon have some available at a reasonable price on ebay. I am doing this mainly to feed my own habit but maybe it will help everyone.

Would you all prefer ones that are a bit larger and ready for twisting say... a 4" pot? Or would you prefer cheaper 2.5" pots?

With the 2.5" pots you may have to grow them out for a year but you could have more control over them that way.

Shoot me a PM and let me know if you are interested and how many you might want. I am looking at trying to do a discount for The Nut House folks. Here are some samples:

Attachments

• Four Inch Shimpaku004.jpg
    Four Inch Shimpaku004.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 283
  • Four Inch Shimpaku005.jpg
    Four Inch Shimpaku005.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Four Inch Shimpaku007.jpg
    Four Inch Shimpaku007.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 272
  • Two Inch Shimpaku Juniper.jpg
    Two Inch Shimpaku Juniper.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 328
Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Get'em while they are hot!

Ok Everyone the listings are finally up for the Shimpaku. If you want more than what is available or if they sell out, give me some notice and I will try to get more.

2" in lots of 5 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260739905391&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

4" http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260739916767

Also, I very much value the bonsai community's opinion and I am seeking to do things in a respectable way. If you have any feedback, good or bad please feel more than free to contact me.

Thanks!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Eliminate the middleman?

A member of the Nuthouse contacted me about buying direct and cutting E-bay out of the picture to save me money. I told him that this was a great idea and I would just reduce the price by what Ebay charges and pass the savings along. The deal I offered him I will honor for all Forum members.

5 (five) Shimp starters 2" pot for $15 + $5.10 for priority mail shipping. PM me your email address and I will send you a Paypal invoice. The shipping will be done by weight per the results of the poll.

If you want to discuss larger quantities or you would like the larger size let me know. I would be happy to give larger discounts for a larger quantity.

Last edited:

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Summer is coming

Hey everyone, summer is coming in Vegas so I will only be shipping for about 2 - 3 more weeks. I have sold about 50 of these so you better get your orders in fast if you want some. I have a new deal on ebay that has 5 for $2.50 each or 10 for $2 each for the 2" size. I sold 20 just today so really get em fast.

Plus I am going to put my surplus in screen side pots or twist em up and put em in the ground for the summer and that will need to happen soon. After I do that I won't be shipping till fall. It is just to risky to ship out of Vegas any later than April.

Let me know!

BTW if there is another species you want me to find for fall or next spring let me know and I will look for a source.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need another shimp like a hole in the head....but man I admire what your doing!

Keep up the good work.

I'd be in the market for some good liner stock tridents for root grafting and just plain grow out. I'm too lazy to do um myself.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Well I figure we all have done enough with species that we really should just let go because they are easy to find. If I can make it easier for someone to get started than I have done my part. :) Plus it is kinda fun! I am just trying to figure out where the need is in this supply chain then I will do my best to fill it.

Thanks for the kind words Al. I tell you I would not even know what to do with out the things I have learned from you.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Here is what I have done

some pics of what I have done with them. The first, is a 2" that I tried to twist and snapped the entire top off of. The second are two 2" that I have done. Next is the second 4"er that I have twisted. The last is what the 2" trees look like before twisting. BTW #10 wire is indeed the secret to success.

Attachments

• mameShimp.jpg
    mameShimp.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 253
  • 2inch_num1.jpg
    2inch_num1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 257
  • 2inch_num2.jpg
    2inch_num2.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 216
  • 4inch_num2.jpg
    4inch_num2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 219
  • 2inch_shimp_starter.jpg
    2inch_shimp_starter.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 213

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
WOW! Well my 2" size are sold out for the season and I only have 20 of the 4" left. This has been pretty fun actually. If anyone wants a substantial number of something let me know and I will see if I can get it in before the middle of April. That is about the cut off here in Vegas. I can shoot for fall if someone wants that. Thanks to everyone that has purchased from me. It would be awesome if someday the trees that I have sold do something big.

kmdesigns

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'd be interested in some of the 2 inchers when you get more.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
There has been a bunch of interest in the 2" shimps so I picked up some more. I only got a few because my shipping window is closing fast here. We could very well be into the 100's within a month. So if you want some send me a PM and we can make arrangements.

I also picked up a few dwarf Poms. They are quart size pots.

I could likely be persuaded to work out trades as well.

Last edited:

Joedes3

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shimpaku

Just got my shimpaku today. Great plants! Fast and secure delivery. Shipped on Monday and received them on Wednesday.

Thanks

Joe DeSisto

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Got a few more in

The last batch was snapped up so fast that I decided to get a few more before Summer sets in. A good chunk of them are already sold but I have 3 lots of 10 on my ebay listing if anybody wants em...

The ones that don't sell will go in 3.75 net pots or the ground.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Well this has been fun! I sold and shipped a BUNCH of trees in the last couple of months. I know a few of them went to young kids, one 8 year old girl and one 12 year old boy in particular had wanted to try their hand at bonsai. In both cases I looked up some resources in their areas to hopefully get them down the right path. It was a really good feeling.

I will make the last shipment tomorrow morning as it is starting to get hot here. The rest will go in grow pots or in the ground (I only have 10 left for myself!) I also got 15 'nana' poms but they are just not in the condition I would sell them so I am going to prune them up and stick them in the ground for a bit. I have some older ones of those that are getting close to 1" caliper.

I am planning for fall so if anyone has requests for a variety of plant that they would like let me know and I will find a supplier if there is enough interest.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Very admireable for you to do this, and congrats on a good first season. I have put some serious thought into starting something small similar to this as my mind can't help but think about business. If post next year on this thread that'd be great so I get an email saying that shipments are starting.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Loads of people have been contacting me wondering if there would be any shimps this year. PM with how many you would be interested in and if there is enough interest I will go for it.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'd be interested in four of the 4" ones. I want to stick them in the ground and grow them out for a decade just to see how big they would get :)

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
As of now, most of the interest is in the 2" size. I am leaving for Texas for a few days and I will check the status of what everyone wants then.

Top Bottom