Shimpaku from Evergreen Gardenworks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I posted a sneak-preview of this on a different thread, and decided to start one that will hopefully run for some years to come. This is is a shimpaku from Brent Walston; among his first and largest, and has happily moved South! If it has a good winter, I may start some training this spring, but I'm going to take my time with it. The mica pot is 24" wide by 6.5" deep.

From Brent: "Did I give you the provenance on this one? This is one of two Shimpaku in one gallon containers that I purchased from a local bonsai dealer (Roscoe Morris, now deceased) from Treehouse Nursery. One has been in a bonsai pot the whole time and is still quite small. This monster has been let to grow and would have been even bigger if I had repotted it more often. It has been in my care since the early 80's , probably '81 or '82."

BWJ sm.jpg BWJ sm back.jpg

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
That looks to be some awesome starting material. Lots of choices for Shari and deadwood.

Umeboshi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I am looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very cool that you have the history of this tree's starting point. I always love the backstories...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
It's going to make one hell of a nice shohin!!

Seriously, this one looks pretty complicated design-wise. Do you have any thoughts, Brian, since you can see it from all angles? Love the base of the trunk, by the way.

Dave

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's going to make one hell of a nice shohin!!

Seriously, this one looks pretty complicated design-wise. Do you have any thoughts, Brian, since you can see it from all angles? Love the base of the trunk, by the way.

Dave

No doubt it will be shorter! It's about 40" tall now, but considering the primary material, it will probably end up somewhere between 20"-30" tall. I don't think the design will be overly complicated; there are a few sure-thing designs in it; but most obvious is reducing the right trunk to a nice carved snag of deadwood and styling the tree out of the left upright. It has lots of divides and close-in growth to work with:
Left Trunk.jpg

Several long branches that are difficult to see (extending from the left-most trunk in this photo) are a good 1.5" thick with sharis already appearing and can be bent/twisted to continue an interesting trunkline and show plenty of deadwood in/around/above the foliage.

This is a cool tree with a great history, and I consider myself fortunate to be the next caregiver.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
No doubt it will be shorter! It's about 40" tall now, but considering the primary material, it will probably end up somewhere between 20"-30" tall. I don't think the design will be overly complicated; there are a few sure-thing designs in it; but most obvious is reducing the right trunk to a nice carved snag of deadwood and styling the tree out of the left upright. It has lots of divides and close-in growth to work with:
View attachment 19921

Several long branches that are difficult to see (extending from the left-most trunk in this photo) are a good 1.5" thick with sharis already appearing and can be bent/twisted to continue an interesting trunkline and show plenty of deadwood in/around/above the foliage.

This is a cool tree with a great history, and I consider myself fortunate to be the next caregiver.

It is going to be really exciting to watch this tree under your care. I am waiting on frequent photographic updates as you move forward. Happy New Year!

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
This juniper is going to be fun. When it started really pushing growth strongly this spring, I was able to safely remove some of the long sacrifice branches that simply couldn't be used in the final design. This allows light to get into the interior of the tree and chases growth in closer to the trunk and main branches. At this point, no design options are "off the table", but turning it around this weekend, a very nice potential front showed up. The heavy root would need to be reduced, but it takes advantage of the widest point of the base and great movement and taper. The entire main left side would be carved into a large Jin.

A few threads popped up lately discussing box stores as a possible source of material. The big differences are clear in stock like this...grown for 30+ years to eventually become bonsai...many choices for a front, plenty of low branches, and every angle shows movement, taper, and branches to work with.

IMAGE_D403507F-9970-45A6-986E-C64A4A1843BF.JPG

IMAGE_85360938-9246-4A1E-879D-DAF6C3E5F7E9.JPG

IMAGE_91B80721-D1DF-407C-8FDE-9AB711A8754F.JPG

Just for kicks, thought I'd try the video clip as well, much easier to see movement and taper...if it works...
[video]http://v2.nonxt7.googlevideo.com/videoplayback?id=48bb4ec2cd242e99&itag=18&begin=0&len=2147483647&app=picasa&et=INVALID&el=INVALID&ip=0.0.0.0&ipbits=0&expire=2912639703&sparams=id,itag,ip,ipbits,expire&signature=7955CBAB441E0E478E0A69B2F77D3E015A37D55. 6310E1EA84E38DDD6E6072337B0D1DE58770D9BF&key=ck1[/video]

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Very nice material indeed Brian!! Can't wait to see this one styled! Congrats and have fun ;)

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Look at all that growth coming straight from the trunk! Great material. Very nice Aussie, too :D

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thats a nice tree as it is. I think the bark really shows it age and should be the focal point of this tree. The first picture in the series above looks like an ancient forest tree.

ed

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, looking really nice Brian. Excited to see what you do with it in the future. :D

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Damn Brian! That IS an extremely beautiful Shimpaku, with a cool history to boot! Opening it up really shows you got your money's worth. What a trunk, bark, movement and branching. All just fantastic! Too bad Brent had only one!! hehe
That just might be your best material yet to add to your already impressive collection. ;-))

The video worked, but I couldn't get over the size of your yard!! And very peaceful looking too.

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for taking the time to sort out the video clip, it's more 3d... And bonus aussie in the bkgrnd! What a joy this tree will be for you.
:)

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Really diggin' this tree, and it's settling in nicely. Next year, the work begins...
Big Shimp 0712.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's a good thing you have so many other nice trees to occupy your time...I'd have a real hard time keeping my hands off this one this coming fall.

Ryan Neil is coming next year...;)

Top Bottom