Shimpaku from Evergreen Gardenworks

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I repotted this last night. I let it grow bushy last year to bulk it up for this repotting, since I knew it would be pretty aggressive. Since I killed off half the tree, I figured half the roots would also be dead, and in need of removing. The cleaning alone took close to 2 hours.
DE0F901A-0C65-4479-BB9C-A36FC46D849F.jpeg1EC0E835-F17E-43C1-A9BC-3D2D7D666C0B.jpeg
For the first time since I got it in 2011, it was bare-rooted to get 100% of the old soil out from under the trunk.
9A5EC167-E54A-4577-8496-3F4FA3F09414.jpegE2E2BB2E-95C5-44B2-9FBC-EA81AA64999D.jpeg

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Since I’m still undecided on the front, it got a round pot?. Am I the only one digging that second front?
83BBDAFC-9D2D-4074-80B5-2C6DF15694FD.jpegD6F083B5-BE62-4FE6-B7CD-3FA3CF7471C5.jpeg
I’m expecting a good year of growth after cleaning out the old soil and dead rotten roots.
Later this spring, I’ll unwire it, and prepare to prune and wire it again this fall.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, that back side really shows off the trunk nicely with that lower wrinkling too. Very nice. I was looking at some beautiful Shimpaku yesterday at Plant City Bonsai, then my dear friend /gave/ me one of hers! It's small yet so I need to let it grow a few years but I'm excited to get to work with it. Yours is coming along beautifully.

Cosmos

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think that second front is more dramatic, even if the deadwood has less visual weight. Better shows "what once was". I like it a lot.

thomas22

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Am I the only one digging that second front?

Based on the pictures I like your current front (deadwood on the left) much better. With your alternate front (deadwood on the right), there is a long straight portion of the trunk that bothers me.
Seriously nice tree though.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think I like the original front more, better looking movement....but, the second front exposes more trunk, which could also be nice.

Since you did the repotting, how long do you expect to wait before thinning the canopy and wiring?.....its very dense looking.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Tough choice. I like the backside's base and curvy lower trunk, but I agree that that straight section of trunk stands out a bit, as does that heavy first left branch. I think I still prefer your first front, but moving some foliage over both to hide that branch a bit, as well as to interact with the deadwood jins along that upper trunk section could sway me. Looking forward to see where you take it.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I absolutely love that second front. Beautiful tree! I just went through this thread and what a great story and progress.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I unwired this tree over the weekend. Bjorn and I wired it in December 2017, and the wires were digging in.
Before:
2590C28F-FB5A-4C2B-A95A-017B41A8C402.jpeg
After unwiring:
70AFADB1-D565-4C62-98E0-A6301A319813.jpeg
16F7DEA2-0B5F-4F0B-8095-D70354DAE613.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Then I did some light pruning. The way I handle Juniper foliage is to remove weak growth, “crotch” growth, and then reduce each shoot to alternating tufts. This allows for light and air circulation, and makes it much easier to wire later.
Before:
59654203-C321-4D18-B6C6-7F666514B8F6.jpeg
After:
CAC2F4D6-F9C8-468D-B624-7D598EC978D3.jpeg
In all, about 25% of the foliage was removed.
484A0DFB-8CF7-4B82-99A8-74FD790C8F93.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
After pruning it back:
B746AC53-AF79-4BA3-A1F5-D68C1B67730A.jpegB8D727CF-1ADE-42AE-887B-134395598DCB.jpeg
It will be allowed to grow with minimal trimming for the rest of the year, and then wired out in the fall. Still not sure about the front, but I can work with both I think, until I decide. After trimming it back, the original front (top shot) looks better.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Great tree. Nice to have a 2 front tree. I favor the original front. Great movement, shari and taper with both at bottom 1/3 of tree. It is the top 2/3 of tree that leads me to favor the original front, as the straight segment of trunk is disguised and apex is directed forward. Primary branch on original front is forward, which is attractive. On alternative front, this branch becomes a back, or see through/depth branch.

Knowing your work, you can make either work well, enjoy.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Am I the only one digging that second front?

The second front is the better front... at the nebari. The problem is that it highlights the long arrow-straight middle trunk section... and all your branches and your apex are now in the rear of the tree. For what the tree is giving you, I think you would be better off working with the first front, and opening up the foliage to reveal the trunk line. I would also clean up the lower jin with jin pliers. It was carved with a power tool and looks a little chunky and artificial in my opinion.

PeaceLoveBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Which way does it lean? The first front appears to lean toward the viewer and the second appears to lean away? Is that true?

The tree feels “stronger” in The first front.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think the only advantage in the first front could be resolved in the second by foliage placement. It might take some reworking, but I would go with the stronger base of front two.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The second front is the better front... at the nebari. The problem is that it highlights the long arrow-straight middle trunk section... and all your branches and your apex are now in the rear of the tree. For what the tree is giving you, I think you would be better off working with the first front, and opening up the foliage to reveal the trunk line. I would also clean up the lower jin with jin pliers. It was carved with a power tool and looks a little chunky and artificial in my opinion.
I agree about the base and the straight trunk section of the second front. Branch placement is a non-issue, they’re still long enough and pliable enough to move them anywhere I want to put them.

The lower jin is definitely a work in progress. I’m not great at carving, and I’m going really slow because I think carving is what boxed me into the over-simplified tree I have to work with now. I’ll definitely keep working on it slowly over time.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Which way does it lean? The first front appears to lean toward the viewer and the second appears to lean away? Is that true?

The tree feels “stronger” in The first front.
The trunk is actually pretty straight up, and if anything leans toward the second front, but the foliage is concentrated toward the first front. It will be easy to wire to allow either front. I agree the first front feels stronger, but the second front seems more graceful and dynamic...which I prefer. I’d need to conceal some of the straight trunk section with foliage if I use the second front.

Top Bottom