Shimpaku help

Nemoose

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I just picked up this shimpaku starter. It's about 6" tall. My thought is to put it in a large pot and let it grow out for awhile. The lower branch was already wired in a cascade position. I would leave it for now and see how it develops before I decide how to train it. Buy, I'm not going to touch it until I get a few suggestions.

Attachments

• 20160414_125037.jpg
    20160414_125037.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20160414_125014.jpg
    20160414_125014.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 80

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If your plug....and your strainer, are on the counter....
You may need MORE help keeping stuff from clogging your sink!

Like roots....and 8822....
Wait that's me!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just put it there for the pics. It is outside with all the rest now wait to repot or just don't do anything else?

I thought I was drunk!

What!?

That was just something funner than ....

"Let it grow!"

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just picked up this shimpaku starter. It's about 6" tall. My thought is to put it in a large pot and let it grow out for awhile. The lower branch was already wired in a cascade position. I would leave it for now and see how it develops before I decide how to train it. Buy, I'm not going to touch it until I get a few suggestions.
If you want a bigger tree, buy a bigger tree. Wire the trunk and twist it all around, coil it, move it in, move it out, move it round about...make it cool. Put it in a smaller pot with bonsai soil when it is showing signs of pushing new growth, not before. Google shohin shimpaku for ideas.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Nemoose!.....

I cant delete my dumb ass post!

Lol! I got you on the quote!

This, for me, is grafting material.....
And I don't graft...

Sho sho!

Sorce

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Grow the tree out. Take the cascade branch off, dip it in rooting hormone and then you will have two trees. Let everything grow and get nice and fat. If you can find a bigger Shimpaku I would highly suggest that you get one. This little guy is at least five years from having the kind of branching to work with that wont be seriously injured from you trying to work with it now.

Nemoose

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
It was very root bound so I loosened the root ball and put it in a bigger pot. I set it at a bit of an angle and pulled the top over to start a little movement. I like the idea of taking Off the low branch. I will let this one grow out for awhile. I have been watching for some larger starts. Haven't seen much I like yet

Last edited:

Nemoose

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Hey Nemoose!.....

I cant delete my dumb ass post!

Lol! I got you on the quote!

This, for me, is grafting material.....
And I don't graft...

Sho sho!

Sorce
I would like to come up your way sometime and check the botanical garden and some nurseries.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't have a tokonoma but this morning as the sun was coming in my photo area I was inspired to throw this together on the fly. The shimpaku was just like yours two years ago. Twisting the trunk and being mindful of where the foliage pads are was all that was required and then pinch the foliage to design the rest.fb toko.jpg

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It was very root bound so I loosened the root ball and put it in a bigger pot.
Now you can ground-layer or air-layer the cascading branch, it's the easiest and most reliable way to get a new plant from it.

Lauren Shisler

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't have a tokonoma but this morning as the sun was coming in my photo area I was inspired to throw this together on the fly. The shimpaku was just like yours two years ago. Twisting the trunk and being mindful of where the foliage pads are was all that was required and then pinch the foliage to design the rest.View attachment 101466
I love your shimpaku, it draws my eye nicely, oddly it reminds me of a women bending down to grab something.

Maybe I'm just strange but beautiful job!

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What about air layering above the low branch? You could end up with a cascade and an upright.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
What about air layering above the low branch? You could end up with a cascade and an upright.
You can make a rhetorical question about the above. The question of whether or not it is doable to the point of providing two decent pieces of material worthy of developing into two decent bonsai or; just two new and worthless for bonsai in their present state, pieces of raw material. This is the ultimate debate of doing this. This raw material will take many years to become something worth spending time on, assuming that part A and part B survive the encounter. What if both Part A and Part B die?

This little Juniper is good on it's own feet and should be developed as so. I agree with Brian, No way! Nice little shohin, just as it is. Good movement and proportions, just needs a little time to settle in.

Last edited:
Top Bottom